Register To Comment
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen - The Honey Badger

Team Kaizen

The batteries and some of the wiring loom is now in a dedicated box (made from a old lunch box we had laying around) screwed down in the robot that I've put some material in help absorb some of the shock and make it look just that little neater than before. Just waiting to get a bit more money in before I can get the rest of the little bits and pieces together. As far as rule compliance goes, the only thing I am missing at this point is a label stating where the removable link is.

DSCF5684.JPG

The little blue markers on the front crossmember is where the chisels are supposed to be mounted to but I've not got access to my drill at the moment (it is at the in-laws for some reason) but that really is the last thing to do before Stevenage.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Team Kaizen

Side weapons are now in! Not having the right tools to hand meant this was a absolute faff to do but they are drilled out and the chisels in. They need attaching to the crossmember and swarfe cleaning up mind but that can be done tomorrow, I am just glad they are in.

With that done, I am going to call this one ready for Stevenage barring cosmetic/minor improvements before then. I would have liked to get the spear weapon in for then but I am not going to realistically have time over the coming months as I get Shu! finished and begin work on Kaizen in the new year. Hopefully The Honey Badger will survive a round of combat this time. :P

DSCF5694.JPG

Team Kaizen

And here we are. Built over 79 days from the 3rd of July till today in evenings/weekends, The Honey Badger is now rebuilt in its 2.0 form. Sure, it doesn't have a active weapon yet and there is still wood involved but it represents (to me anyway), a big improvement over what the 1.0 robot was like. The wiring is done properly, the motor selection is much more in keeping for Featherweights than the previous selection and the armour is vastly superior (much thicker anyway).

The side weapons, all the external screws and the front bash plate have all been painted in satin black. Link sticker has been put on the robot and the weapon guards made out of masking tape. Perhaps unsurprisingly, it only weighs 8kg, which is a fair weight allowance for a active weapon when I build it for next year.

DSCF5707.JPG

Here is hoping this one survives at least one match, I'll make a run through video tomorrow.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 21st September 2017 at 02:06.

Team Kaizen

To cap this off until after Stevenage (at least), here is the run through video with a side by side comparison with the 1.0 version.

Team Kaizen

Well, I said it would be wrapped up until Stevenage, I may have been telling a fib. I've put in some weight to the front of the robot to add more momentum to the robot turning for the side chisels.

DSCF5744.JPG

I think this brings the robot up to 8.4kg now. I'll see about adding one or two extras onto the robot before Stevenage as well, such as something to help deflect blows off of the rear.

Why not do some chain flails, or just one at the back? They'll be quite entertaining for the audience which is essentially what these meles are for.

Team Kaizen

As I noted, I do plan on having something on the rear. One of the ideas I had was kinda like a flail but effectively towed (so it sits on its own plate with a castor wheel). I reckon I could cook up a suitable modification for the rear to have a flail in time for Stevenage

Team Kaizen

Certainly will be for both days, looking forwards to putting The Honey Badger 2.0 through it's paces although the HW championship should be a excellent event as well!

I'll probably look to paint the Badger during the week (so it actually looks like a Honey Badger) but I did get the flail tail made up on Friday, just need to decide on how to finish it off.

DSCF5746.JPG
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 30th September 2017 at 22:21.

why not bolt the old honey badger to the back and make a cluster bot haha!

Register To Comment