Register To Comment

Thread: Team Kaizen - The Honey Badger

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Kaizen

Hi everyone!

Following the dramatic events at Robots Live! in Grantham 2017, I'd thought it best to start a build (or should that be rebuild?) diary of The Honey Badger, a featherweight flail spinner robot. Being relatively new (my background is computer programming), the original incarnation of the Badger was beset with reliability problems, being drastically underpowered and inherent build issues. This led to the robot being made into roadkill. I'll see about posting some before and after pictures later on tonight.

With Insomina coming up, I've decided to challenge myself in rebuilding The Honey Badger in time for the event. My plan is to stick with the original sort of look of the Badger. So rather than use *ahem* wood for the chassis, I've gone for 10mm thick HDPE board and use some carbon steel as the armour this time rather than Aluminium.

The weapon motor from the original Honey Badger is a Gimson 13.7:1 motor so rather than reuse the original drive motors, I'll aim to get another Gimson motor and use the pair as drive motors (I'll see about reusing the original drive motors in a Beetleweight I am considering). The original batteries were SLAs... I might (haven't decided yet) keep them.

During Grantham 2017, I blew two speed controllers so I am looking for a replacement. I found a dual controller that looks like it might do the trick, a Hobbywing QuicRun WP 860 Dual Brushed 60A ESC (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/catalog/...rushed-60a-esc). I suspect this will be OK but has anyone got any experience of this controller?

As for a weapon... I've not really decided yet on wherever to keep the spinner (with it remade) or go for something else.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 3rd July 2017 at 14:13.

Register To Comment