Register To Comment
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen - The Honey Badger

Team Kaizen

Thanks, it is indeed very tight in there. What I'll do is extend the wiring into the back part of the rails and then cover that up with HDPE, which will also make the basis for the weapon section as well.

I think it is 15-17mph with those wheels on, The Honey Badger 2 was capable of 14mph with the 110mm wheels on.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Team Kaizen

So I've finished one wheel adaptor to make the Gimson hubs go onto these wheels. Need a bit of tidying up but seems to hold on quite well.

DSCF6446.JPG

With any luck, I'll have the other one finished by EXR Guildford though I'll need to make a blanking plate for the rear and front.

you coming to Grantham with anything ?

Team Kaizen

I've already booked a hotel to Grantham so I'll be coming. Provided The Honey Badger 3.0 isn't beaten up too badly at Guilford (and I am already umming and ahhing about not going), it will be there along with Shu! for the Beetleweight event there as well. As for Kaizen, provided I can focus on getting the armour fitted and wheels fitted, that might make an appearance as well. Had a bit of a setback over the weekend with the power drill so... we'll see

Team Kaizen

The test wheels from Kaizen have now been attached and the The Honey Badger 3 is now mobile. I say mobile, one of the wheels did explode in style.

I know what this is, the shaft on the motor is the new motor and it simply hasn't been worn in yet. I'll add a rough surface to it and that should hold it for a while. Definitely need some rubber tread on the wheels but I don't have time to get and fit some. The screws holding the motors in also came loose but I think that is a case of a few spring washers and away I go.

Need some blanking plates over the front and rear to protect the electronics and then we are off to Guildford for the day.

Team Kaizen

So a rear strengthening plate has been added in for the rails, front and rear blanking plates are added in and a crude hinge has been made for the front deflector plate. All a bit of a rush but fairly confident at this point it will go to EXR Guildford (and hopefully not get trashed this time around).

I may very well end up having to finish this in the pits though. It runs but it has no weapons at the present and no rubber on the wheels. Impressive drifting will ensue but it is barely controllable over 40% or so.

Team Kaizen

So EXR Guildford was a bit of a flat one - It went into the arena and then met Neon. Suffice to say, new wheels and hubs were ordered. :P Took some damage to the wheels and one of the rails but nothing substantial.

I've finally found time since to make proper motor mounts. I say "proper", they are a bit rushed but they hold the motor up and with some spring washers holding the motor to the motor plate, it shouldn't disintegrate again. I also ordered the same wheels as I use on Kaizen as they are big enough to allow The Honey Badger 3.0 to run upside down though this is untested.

Bring on RL Grantham

Team Kaizen

A bit late updating this one. If you were at RL Grantham then you'll have seen The Honey Badger 3.0 very very briefly. In the end, the way the motors were mounted into the body were the let down coupled with the hubs that once again warped. I've managed to get them off but the motors had to go to Kaizen so at the moment, The Honey Badger 3 is currently a empty shell.

That will change fairly soon I think, I've finally gotten brushless motors nailed (many thanks to qbnut for his advice on how he did it in Broadax) so my plan is to rebuild The Honey Badger 3 into a far more robust design using a pair of brushless motors and a pair of 100A RedBricks. With lessons learnt from Kaizen, what I'll do is build a single stage reduction mechanism from the motor to a set of drive wheels and keep the same sort of shape.

The RedBricks you need to use the rb70a2.inc file from the SimonK assembly and fiddle a little bit with the MIN_DUTY and POWER_RANGE bands and all the timings that come with that. It doesn't seem to want to play ball with the KEDA 5663 195kv motors properly but I have but I have at least got it going forwards and backwards after a lot of messing around, if somewhat with the jitters (moreso backwards than forwards) Interestingly, if I then plug in a Turnigy Aerodrive 5045 660kv motor, that almost works properly in both directions (I suspect some of the values I have in there at the moment is a bit out there).

Sadly, no robot around to try this out with... yet. I've a Beetleweight in build at the moment and of course Kaizen to fix up so I'll have to put this one on hold for the time being. As I say, I have a shell, just nothing to go in there apart from the TZ85As if I wanted a brushed setup.

Team Kaizen

Ah, its fine! Part and parcel of the fun, isn't it? New gearbox for you then?

Register To Comment