Register To Comment
Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen - The Honey Badger

Team Kaizen

I had a watch of the livestream on the EXR Facebook page and yeah, without zooming in, it is hard to tell what was going on half of the time.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Quote Originally Posted by voorsk View Post
    I was in the audience for fight 3, and I couldn't tell what the heck was going on.

Stuff hitting stuff. Pretty lights. Stuff flying around. Bits all over the place. Bulldozer!

It seems like coming out of those fights with anything left at all is a victory. :P

That as much we could see at some points XD

Team Kaizen

So the post mortem has been done.

The top panel with the slot is bent where Blunt Force Trauma hit it. The original top panel has a few more dings in it but nothing catastrophic. The front bits of the side panels are missing on both sides where Drumroll presumably hit and there is a gash in the panel where Binky scored a direct hit and I think it was that what took the side panel off. Amazingly, the rear panel has come out of it unscathed, a bit more dirty perhaps but nothing a scouring pad couldn't fix.

The wheel on the side which came off looks very poorly but is structurally intact. The rubber needs gluing and screwing in place but that isn't a big job in of itself. Definitely needs a new wheel hub though. The motor which was soldered back to life is still running as is the other motor. In fact, all the drive electrics are still running. The soldered motor is too high up in the shell which explains all the wobbliness. Incredibly, I think the motor shafts themselves are still straight.

The wings are bent, as are the screws holding them in. The tail has come loose and the front and top crossmembers holding the robot together have cracked in weird and wonderful ways plus the castor wheel is loose.

In short, the list of things needed are:

- A new wheel hub
    - 2x new wings
    - New crossmembers
    - A new drive motor

As for the weapon, the motor blew itself apart during the "featherweight fun times" after show match and the mount for that has fallen apart along with the locking pin having sheared in the hub.

None of this is insurmountable, just to get moving under its own steam is going to cost very little (only the £30 for a new crossmember and a wheel hub, less if I can find a second block to act as a crossmember) but it will require a full disassemble/clean/fix/reassemble. However, I do want to concentrate on Kaizen built and getting The Honey Badger 3 ready (been specifying motors and such today) so in short, The Honey Badger 2 is fixable but requires a fair bit of time which I might not have.

It may surface again

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability"

Team Kaizen

Since the last post, I've removed all the electrics/motors/batteries etc of The Honey Badger 2 and left with a rather sad looking shell. As I have Kaizen to worry about along with the upcoming FW championships, I need to get The Honey Badger 3 moving so I've made a decision to transplant the current brushed setup from 2 to 3 and then replace it all with the fully brushless setup later on - I have my eyes on some KEDA 56-63 outrunners as drive motors which look very tasty (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/kd-53-20...ner-195kv.html). Once at the stage of being fully brushless, I'll put all the brushed stuff back into The Honey Badger 2.

So here is the design as promised. A lot of this is subject to change (without reason - a Battlebots reference there) but this is what I want it to look like.

thb-3-design.jpg

(To be really in keeping, it was drawn on the back of the Robot Wars application I wrote for Kaizen - :P)

Certainly going to be wider than The Honey Badger 2 at any rate, probably about as high as Neophyte for context. The weapon on the back was meant to be a saw but to be honest, anything that rotates can go there or, as the annotation suggests, a spear for non-spinner events.

I had some of the 15mm panelling arrive last night but unfortunately, muggins here screwed up and ordered panels that were too short by about 100mm. That is OK though, they can form part of a internal double deck structure inside the main body so that I do have more usable space in there (I could do that with panels I have now to be honest but it being wider means just that little bit more room). Below is what the main body kinda looks like:

DSCF6341.JPG

So the idea is that I'll mount the speed controllers and the motors on the lower deck and then have the batteries/fuse/link on the top deck so I can use all of the 100mm wide space available and have the two 50mm high rails underneath which the top deck can mount to so the normal serviceable stuff can be accessed much easier.

Provided the new set of panels work, I might have something driving by next week

Reminds we somewhat of Tanto, good luck with it!
    I didn't know which robot got torn up initially, only when the remenants were put in the loading pen I realised. Felt really sorry for you, was convinced it was a write-off. Yet you made it into the next battle!

An interesting looking design, wasn't neophyte quite short? Are you aiming for invertable? Being honest it doesn't look that much wider than 2.0, seems it's going to be a compact little thing and 15mm!? Damn son.

Going to be following quite closely, I can't wait to see the brushless drive take shape, it's going to be pretty nippy with those motors anyway..

When is the FW championship? What sort of timescale do you have?

Sorry, question overload

Neophyte was a huge bot for a feather. I would guess 750mm wide 400-500mm long and 250mm high with the lifter down.

I didn't realise it was so wide in all honesty, maybe that's why it looked quite short... I'll get my coat...

Quote Originally Posted by Retroman View Post
    I didn't realise it was so wide in all honesty, maybe that's why it looked quite short... I'll get my coat...
    Yeah its electronics looks really small in it

Register To Comment