Register To Comment
Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen - The Honey Badger

Team Kaizen

So this evening I reflashed the TZ85A and we are back in business, both drive ESCs are working. I also reconnected the FeatherTwo to the weapon motor and after checking that the polarity is right this time, verified that it works. The next thing is to get the two co-operating with each other on the RX. I'll get a JR servo extender cable and put the power lines in there rather than cut the FeatherTwo's wire in case I need to have it powering the RX again.

However, things now look promising to have it done this week, get through Manchester 2018 event with a potential test match beforehand and then get the thing properly rewired for the upcoming FW championships.

UPDATE: I connected up the FeatherTwo to the RX via the JR servo extender with both of the power wires cut, leaving only the signal wire connected and whilst it does turn on (the orange LED blinks), nothing happens when the switch is thrown on the TX. Will look into this tomorrow.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 26th March 2018 at 00:10.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Try reconnecting the black power wire to the RX; need some kind of a signal return.

Team Kaizen

Thanks, will do when a new batch of extender wires get here

Having a bit of a nightmare with The Honey Badger at the moment. With the addition of the lifting arm, the batteries had to be moved from the tupperware box that they were housed in but where I would like them to fit, they can't because the lifting arm motor catches on it when refitting the lid.

I've temporarily removed the drive batteries and decided to test the lifting arm to see it it would self right the robot. Guess what, it doesn't. I suspect this is to do with the lack of leverage the arm or the gear ratio of the motor has (98:1) so I might change it into a impromptu axe or slow rotary weapon just to get through Manchester and then will address at a later date.

I am also going to be changing the transmitter and receiver for a new OrangeRX TX6i transmitter for transmitter mixing and the multiple model memory for all of the weird and wonderful creations I have and... well I rather like the colour. :P

the lifter arm could you bolt some something to it to give it more leverage ? take a photo let us help.

Team Kaizen

I did bolt a extra piece to the arm but it seems not to help. I really think it is to do with where it is bolted to.

DSCF6230.JPGDSCF6232.JPG

Giving it some thought, going to change it for a axe and see where it goes from there.

It's not a light solution, but could you relocate the motor and use a chain drive? It's could give you some battery space and be re-geared for more torque in one move?

Team Kaizen

There really isn't that much space inside the robot to begin with once you include the second set of batteries so adding a chain drive would be very difficult.

Actually, rethinking this, I have the same problem as Manta. I am sure that robot uses a pair of curved edges at the rear of the robot to guide the robot over as it is self righting (the two robots are darn near the same shape). Might be worth fabricating something like that out of the spare HDPE I have laying around to see if that helps at all along with more voltage. Would also help with the link protection as well.

If I lift the robot off of the arm a little and then fire the arm, it does manage to get up on its back and then no further so it *is* getting there.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 29th March 2018 at 14:02.

How tall is the badger? It does sound like it's almost there, I've got some PE pipe I could cut you a chunk of if it's any use to you? 250mm I.D. and around 14mm thick...

Anyway... I didn't realise how tightly packed it was in there, although I suppose any dead space is dead weight isn't it?

Team Kaizen

The Honey Badger is approximately ~20cm tall without the drive wheels at its tallest. I think what I'll do is gut the robot completely to a rolling shell and rearrange everything so it'll fit... and it will. Gives me a chance to sort out the "dodgy" wiring as well.

I've got some PE pipe I could cut you a chunk of if it's any use to you?
    Hmm.... that might work for the rear. Is there a 250mm long section available?
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 29th March 2018 at 22:32.

I'm sure I could cut you some off, I've got a 5 feet of it in the garage and a skip full at work...

Only trouble is I've still no car after the MOT, if I could find a way to strap it to the bike I could meet you somewhere... even bring it to Manchester? We can sort something I'm sure.

And packing it all in is the trouble I'm having, I'm getting so unbeleiveably fussy about fitment and overall quality... might never even get a chassis finished at this rate ha

Register To Comment