Register To Comment
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Kaizen - The Honey Badger

Quote Originally Posted by Albear View Post
    why not bolt the old honey badger to the back and make a cluster bot haha!
    Or put the shell on top of a bowling ball.

Team Kaizen

Hahaha - All good ideas! I think what I'll do with the 1.0 version is rebuild the drive in it and put the flails on a static part of the shell as the top part is badly twisted and run it as a fun entry for live events, I'll see if Rachael (my wife) will drive it.

As for being a clusterbot... I'll have to read the regulations into that but I think if the 1.1 version weighs 4kg after the drive and the chassis is built back up, I think it'll just fit within the 13.6kg weight limit. I doubt it'll go directly on the back of 2.0, it is about 10cm too big.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 1st October 2017 at 12:26.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Team Kaizen

The "flail tail" is now complete!

DSCF5756.JPG

I might need to remove a link or two so it doesn't run over it's own tail. :P

One of the motor mounts has also twisted a little so as a temporary fix, I've placed a metal spacer between the motor and the rear crossmember to straighten it out until I can get a bit of time to remake the motor mounts. I think the L shaped brackets I used were a bit twisted before I installed them...
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 4th October 2017 at 21:31.

Team Kaizen

Well Stevenage was just awesome. Congratulations to Manta for winning the UK Heavyweight championships!

As an aside, managed to get involved in setting up the arena this time around. The outer kickboards are awfully heavy.

As for The Honey Badger 2.0, it was a interesting and very revealing experience. Managed to get in a test of the drive in the arena before the 3pm show on Saturday and it drove OK once the flip switches were in the right place, plenty fast enough however it still struggles with getting traction over the rear wheels. Other than that, it was ready to go. The show announcers came round to examine the entries and I must have struck a chord with one (Rob I think it was) who got excited over my batteries being contained in a tupperware container. I am sure he mentioned this before every match.

Melee 1
    This was easily the Badger's best fight. It actually managed to get involved in a pileup briefly but with the control issues, it was sliding around everywhere, pirouetting on the front castor as it turned and eventually I ended up in the pit. Scuff marks and the motor mounts were loose but otherwise came out of that damage free. The flail tail did manage to do its job of keeping the robot the right way up when Team Shock attempted to flip the Badger from the front.

In between the fights, I watched as Alex put together his cannibalised Microwave robot that I think ended up being called PsychoWave in the finish, even donated the googly eyes!

Melee 2
    Urmm... yeah. Even though the motor mounts were re-secured, The Honey Badger just wasn't moving very well at all. I got told by the Pressure Point team that my wheels were arched upwards in the fight so one can only assume they were bent and I'd missed it. Looking back at the fight, it looks as if the right hand side wheel (as you look at it from the back) was the cause of the issue. During that, the Badger took several hits from BattleAxe and you know when you have that moment of deja vu and think "I know what is coming next". Yeah... on the arena flipper, went flying, hit the outer polycarbonate wall and promptly disintegrated.

It was a mess. The top crossmember and rear crossmembers were cracked, the front cross member was in the process of doing so and the tupperware box was smashed. However, BattleAxe's hammer didn't leave much more than several marks on the HDPE so despite it all, it was an improvement over 1.0! I managed to get The Honey Badger 2.0 patched up by replacing the sheared screw in the rear crossmember, rotate the top crossmember 90 degrees so the side panels could be screwed back into place and refit the electrics. By the end of Saturday, it was back together.

Melee 3
    The Honey Badger 2.0 was now feeling the strain of combat. I added a front tongue to the front to help push competitors out of the way but it wasn't effective as there was still drive issues (I had also removed a few links out of the tail to stop it catching underneath the back of the robot as well). Eventually got flipped over by Team Shock (not sure if this was Heatwave or Avalanche) after bouncing around on the front tongue and flail tail and then pushed into a corner.

Not much to report here but again, the mounts were loose though not as badly as the first match.

Melee 4
    This was the worst fight for the Badger, got caught on the edge of the pit and with the drive issues, wasn't going anywhere. Team Shock came in and boom, it was over. Aftermarth then tried to get The Badger into the pit but I think ended up going in first, The Honey Badger got pushed in thanks to the Heavy Metal team. I also noted that this fight I forgot to remove the weapon covers, not that it made much difference.

I must mention Pressure Point, they had been itching to get their crusher into something and eventually did into the Arc Robotics machine. Cracked the top cover in great style, very near the batteries mind.

So that was that. Ultimately, despite not lasting the full three minutes in a single match, it is important to note that this one survived practically everything thrown at it bar the rough landing. I am planning to go to Maidstone next (Glocuster is too close to an important date I cannot afford to miss) with The Honey Badger 2.1, the revisions planned are:

• Rewire the robot with the thicker tupperware container kindly donated by Arc Robotics.
    • Move the weight bias to the rear of the robot.
    • Fabricate custom motor mounts to get the drivewheels lower to the ground.
    • Replace the wooden crossmembers with HDPE or Nylon crossmembers (Have already ordered some).

I'll post a compilation video + pictures later on this evening showing all 4 melee fights and some work being done on The Honey Badger.
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 9th October 2017 at 14:46.

It was great seeing the Honey Badger be so resilient against so many other bots! I hope the new tupperwear box holds up!

Rob (Team ARC)

Team Kaizen

Haha, well at least it is more resilient than the 1.0 version. Thanks for the box, I am sure it'll hold up better than the one in there now.

Videos! I was having difficulty with my video editor so only the melees.

Melee I

Melee II

Melee III

Melee IV

Team Kaizen

The Honey Badger is now utterly disassembled as the Nylon 6 HS crossmembers have arrived for the 2.1 refit. I've found a massive chunk missing/pressed out in the base plate which won't have helped with the robot moving and practically every screw/bolt is bent or warped in some way. I must confess, I've never worked with Nylon before, I guess it'll be a case of drilling slowly & cooling?

DSCF5830.JPG

The wooden crossmembers are cracked in every which way and probably will not last much longer. However, since I've got the crossmembers cut practically to length by the suppliers, the motor mounts will be the first thing I'll work on. The base plate/side panels will need sanding down to remove any damage to them.

The electrics are in good shape all things considering. The motors may want cleaning up a touch but there is otherwise nothing to do to them.

Team Kaizen

I've decided to make a go at seeing if I can make it to Gloucester (only the Saturday mind) so today I've been cleaning up the base panel and installing the new crossmembers. Money and time have both been very limited recently so I've not had a chance to try the Nylon bars yet so I'll save them for something else if they don't make it into The Honey Badger. So I've gone for a harder wood for the members this time rather than pine so if anything, it'll weigh a bit more. I'll be adding some L shaped brackets from the top crossmember to the side panels to help absorb some of the hits it might get.

DSCF5833.JPG

Electronics are now all mounted in and on the box so that is basically a case of screwing it into the base plate and adding in some foam to pad it. The motors themselves have new mounts ready to put into the robot and are much, much lower than the originals, thicker as well so they'll have less of a tendency to bend. This should finally resolve the motor mount (and thus traction) issue once and for all.

Original on the left, new on the right:
    DSCF5832.JPG

Team Kaizen

The 1" box section is too small for existing holes at the moment and 2"x1" bar I wouldn't have a good use for. The checkplate might come in handy through for remaking the front protective cover on the front of the wedge though...

Side panels are now capable of being screwed onto the crossmembers and will measure up the new supporting brackets tomorrow lunchtime (getting a bit late to be doing drilling and what not). The drive motor holes will need to be re-drilled as the the rearmost crossmember has pushed everything forwards by about 10mm but otherwise, just waiting on a delivery of flange screws for the mounts and then it'll go back together within a day.

Register To Comment