Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to build a combat robot guide.

Hello all

I'm currently building a H/W robot with a group of kids at the school I teach at. As part of a sponsorship arrangement I have produced a guide to help teachers and individuals build a combat robot. I've attached the guide below, if you have time to scan through I would really appreciate any input via the thread or in a PM. I'm trying to make it accessible to a first time builder, so have missed a few areas out, if there's anything you think really needs to be in there please let me know.

Here's a link to the PDF version. If you would like a word copy please E-mail me at dgrant@Bradfield.Sheffield.sch.uk.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...Elta3V3VS1fTGs

The guide will be freely available when finished, so don't worry that I'll be getting rich from your input!

Thank in advance!
    Last edited by Dan-27; 26th June 2017 at 13:00.

Can i forward this on to Greenwich University to potentially use for school projects btw?

Otherwise looks really professional. Theres a few tiny things ive seen after a quick read through, however those are more pedantic than anything (for example, i think its better if the link is on the positive side - or recommending drills for use in cheap robots due to providing alot of components for a good price).

Thanks for the feedback and absolutely feel free to pass it on, it still is in draft version though, the finished one should be complete in a month or two (there's some pictures missing towards the end). I'll put a link on here when it's done.

I'll make sure the link is on the positive. I have suggested drill motors, but some schools will have money to spend on clubs like this and VEX, Ranglebots, Banebots etc are easy options for a newbie.

If someone could double check the relay wiring diagram that would be great, think I got it right but still have to Google every time I come to wire one up!

Thanks.

Redirect Left
    Had a quick read through, and it seems pretty ace. Considering its for use in schools (or at least to teachers), a few notes;

Perhaps add M.R. Speed Squared as the demo bot for the full body spinner on page 5, this will be a more known robot to kids than Ringmaster, I don't believe that bot ever competed to any notable degree here in the UK. If you're wanting teachers to grab the attention of children with demos for possible designs they can do (if the teacher is going to give a choice) then I think M.R. Speed Squared will probably work better, as they'll have seen this one more likely. You could even add Nuts as one of the demo bots for that page, as it was quite colorful and memorable, again if the teacher is expected to give people in the RW club a choice of what the club aims for, might be one to use there.
    May also be worth noting there that rambots are not permitted on Robot Wars, if that is the goal of the school to at least attempt getting on there as a few have done, you need an active weapon to get on Robot Wars, ram bots do not have these, Tornado added some little piddly weapon purely to get on the newer series. You can do the same, but then not actually really use it and stick to ramming to get around it.
    LiFePo4 might be worth adding to the alternative batteries, they have good density, longer lifetime (in a fighting robot, they'll probably get damaged well beyond a lifetime for one), they're also inherently magnitudes safer than the LiPos you focus on. I'm not entirely sure if focusing on LiPos is a good idea for school built robots to start with, mind.
    Might also be worth noting the expected amount of £££ required to build each type of robot. Bare in mind that everything on the TV show that proudly annouces how cheap it was made, quickly ends up shredded. So with robots, cheaper is often not better if you want it to hold any weight in a battle.

That is a good guide though, and in the future you could easily adapt as a quick guide for all, rather than school club focussing.

If someone could double check the relay wiring diagram that would be great
    the relay diagram appears to be fine
    Last edited by Redirect Left; 26th June 2017 at 23:32.

As an FYI I'm fairly sure it's actually in the rules that the link has to be on the positive side, other than that though nice work!

well Team Invade does also have a featherweight which is rear hinged flipper call Explosion so.

Register To Comment