Register To Comment
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to build a combat robot guide.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf.96 View Post
    -The REC gearbox would be another (metric) alternative.
    Ish it more of gibson/drill gearbox hybrid. Gimson GR02 style construction with a standard drill motor shaft but still very much worth a mention.
    Last edited by Maxamuslead; 28th June 2017 at 20:37. Reason: Correction

FYI from a wiring diagram perspective the link should be arranged like the fuse is along the wire. Right now if built as it reads the robot can never be turned off.

"Having a robot that can either run inverted or has a self-righting mechanism (SRMech) it strongly advised." Or ability to self right via the weapon.

"Brushless – Brushless motors require brushless ESC’s. These cannot change direction when in use, but can be set to run in either direction when being wired. As with brushed ESCs find the maximum current draw for the brushless motor you plan on using, at the voltage you will use, and buy an ESC that exceeds that amperage draw.
    a. To reverse the direction of a brushed ESC unplug any 2 of the 3 wires and swap them around."

This section is incorrect, brushless ESC's can be made bi-directional relatively easily (SimonK flashing). Also you CANNOT just swap any two wires for a brushless motor to reverse. [SNIP:I went crazy]

You should probably mention the common route of flashing a brushless ESC with SimonK for drive.

Fail safes are controlled by the receiver not the transmitter, the transmitter is used in setting them on bind but ultimately failsafing is the actions the receiver takes when the transmitter is removed from the system.

You should mention LiFePo4 as one of the alternate batteries (A123's are an example). Get most the fun of LiPo with far less of the fire.

If you're mentioning brushless motors for drive you should mention that it is generally advised to aim for a much larger wattage than you expect to need as this greatly improves low end control.

"Hardox - Thicker sections are often used in bar spinner's weapons" Just drop the 'bar' part of that, most spinners these days regardless of type (At least not the drum varieties) are hardox. Should probably mention that this is far more suited to those with access to a CNC water or plasma cutter or willing to outsource, manually working hardox is difficult and time consuming requiring higher quality tools than normal steel. Also a pretty much no for tapping in hardox.

EDIT: A GR02 is still a drill gearbox inside. I used to repair mine with innards from argos drills.

EDIT 2: Could probably just mention the regular good old 'check the wiring for loose/intermittent connections' in troubleshooting.
    Last edited by Shakey; 29th June 2017 at 19:10.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf.96 View Post
    You can indeed just sap any two wires in a sensorless brushless setup.
    Yeah just made me go double check, I now have absolutely no idea where that came from in my head. On the plus side I've had a self enforced brushless wiring convention in place for a while now that has been super helpful. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
    A GR02 is still a drill gearbox inside. I used to repair mine with innards from argos drills.
    fair enough so in there any reason why people are willing to spend silly money on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxamuslead View Post
    fair enough so in there any reason why people are willing to spend silly money on them.
    I don't remember them being crazy expensive, the mounting points were very nice to work with.

I don't remember them being crazy expensive, the mounting points were very nice to work with.
    I looking to buy some before i got a pair of REC and they reach £90 for two IIRC before I completely bailed on them.

I looking to buy some before i got a pair of REC and they reach £90 for two IIRC before I completely bailed on them.
    Yeah they would be expensive buying them used now they're out of production. They were only ~£30 each when they were being made, fairly reasonable price.

Yeah they would be expensive buying them used now they're out of production. They were only ~£30 each when they were being made, fairly reasonable price.
    Yeah just find it strange when you can get similar new gearboxes for same or less money

Yeah just find it strange when you can get similar new gearboxes for same or less money
    People build around a specific motor and once that motor is out of production they rely on buying them used off of people for spares when they break. As time goes on supply dwindles but people still need ones to replace as they break, so the power in negotiating a price goes to the people who have the few available spares and they can charge a higher price. Simple supply and demand.

Same thing happened with Speed900's. It's why i have a rule to never build a robot around parts I can't buy new.

Register To Comment