Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limit Switch for Self Righting Lever

That'd be doable, as long as you wire it properly. How are your limit switches going to work, big diodes?

what type of scooter motor you planning to use Ed ?

WP_20170616_004.jpg

Hi Guys,

Still trying to get some clarity on this.

Here's a pic of the circuit diagram I got the idea from. After further delving I'm thinking of wiring an RX Channel output to the coils of a Time delay relay (SPDT). When the given RX channel sends voltage to the the relay it will switch on for the amount of time set by the time delay and engage the motor (What ever it takes to move the levers 180 degrees) and self right the robot. To reverse the operation I will wire a second circuit from another RX channel and a second time delay relay but will have the motors polarity reversed so it swings the levers back to where they started. Will it work?

Time Delay Relay - http://uk.farnell.com/amperite/120aa...vac/dp/1088945

Any thoughts and advise much appreciated?

Thanks
    Ed

Why not just chuck in a brushed ESC + an arduino to enforce the limit switches? MUCH more robust than a whole bunch of relays in a combat robot, much more compact and gives you a greater amount of options on how to impose limits.

You also have a huge misunderstanding of the RX channels. They are not sending voltage, they are sending a digital signal (PWM). It is actually more off than on. You also cannot draw that much power from the signal line without likely blowing the RX. So you need something that takes the signal of the RX and switches an output. At this point a Brushed ESC really is simpler, likely cheaper and more robust.

EDIT: Just realised you have a servo switch inbetween for the RX->Sw conversion. You are vastly over complicating the system with very outdated components that do not fare well in a combat robot.

Other things, if you have a weapon use that for self righting, or if you're putting this in without a weapon just make it a lifter. A 500w scooty motor is a heavy thing to have only self righting in your robot. It's far more efficient on weight to combine it with your weapon.
    Last edited by Shakey; 21st June 2017 at 13:12.

To be honest, if you're using a brushed motor, you can do without the arduino. If you add a linear actuator-style diode and limit switch circuit after the ESC but before the motor, it should just stop the arm from going further than it needs to. You can still use an arduino if you want, it depends where your skills lie as to which one you want to pick. If you want an example of the arduino method though (which I used with a brushless motor) you can check out my build thread (Aegis). I have a video talking about how it works too.

Register To Comment