Register To Comment

Thread: FP heavy flipper

Hello,

I am working on a full pressure flipper for my next build
    I plan on manufacturing a bespoke 100 bore, 100 stroke single acting cylinder and manifold
    Obviously I need the CO2 to move the cylinder out, rapidly, then vent so that it can be spring returned (probably a bunch of bungees.)
    Do I achieve this with a hydraulic 5/2 valve (possibly 2 for more flow?)
    I have been looking at the poppet valves. is this the right sort of thing?
    Any valve / circuit help would be much appreciated.

Cheers Chris.

I did a quick search and found this forum

Burkert 5404 have already caused quite a bit of trouble
    I might get one pressure tested just for piece of mind. I'm sure they are fine and have proven themselves anyway but don't want to make anyone relive that thread.

I'm thinking of putting 1 on the inlet and another 1 to vent. I will probably leave scope to add another to the inlet, incase flow is a problem.

We use the Burkert 5404 to good effect in all 3 of our heavyweight flippers.

We use two to fire and a third to vent- gives us plenty of power even with the smaller 75mm bore ram in Maelstrom. The main thing we would recommend is a decent size buffer. Manta uses two, 2kg buffers with one 2kg main tank and a 100mm bore, 150mm stroke ram. Maelstrom and Earthquake only have one buffer but both have smaller rams.

Feel free to message me on here or via facebook and I can show you the various setups we have.

Thank you Will. I will certainly take you up on that!

Hydraulic valves won't seal gas. Not the normal ones.
    And a 5/2 hydraulic?? That's not a common one.
    4/2 to control a double acting ram or reversable motor, that's more standard.

Most people use the Burkert 5404 or Chinese copy. That is a 2/2 valve that can withstand the pressure, and if overvolted, switch it dependably. To have a 3/2 equivalent, you'll need 2 of those.

, the benchmark for flippers since 2003, used 2 of those to feed the 100mm bore 180mm stroke ram, and 1 to release the pressure.

Register To Comment