Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cease & Desist - New featherweight

Okay, I've found an excuse to bother people with my robot building without coming off as annoying (sorry). Welcome to my build diary! After nearly a year of brainstorming ideas and nothing happening, I bought a shell off Harry that's working a treat (Thank you) and four motors from Colin (Again, thank you) to form Cease & Desist. My original idea was a 360⁰ lifter but decided I was both ineffective and impractical. The second idea is a longer project, a clusterbot. Overall, the current robot weighs in at 5.8kg (excluding speed controllers and batteries), excluding extra weight to be competitive, leaving an extra 7.6kg to work with, lets round that to 6 to be sure. The first part, and the part I'm working on now, the 4WD 'Cease' will be a basic 4wd pusher with a spring loaded front wedge to get underneath the others. Part 2 is 'Desist', a torque reaction axe/hammer similar to swordfish (if its for sale, I'll gladly buy it) with an interchangeable axe and claw hammer on the end. First thing on the list, modifying the drill motors. I need to buy the grub screws but all my local hardware shops don't have any, I'm assuming a big chain might (B&Q, Screwfix, Wickes). Also, one of the drill motors seemed to have a left threaded chuck screw missing, though if I can get a good grip on the wheel, it shouldn't be an issue, or I can get one on eBay. Does anyone out of experience know where, I can get grub screws, and what measurement they should be. Thanks, and I look forward to getting this finished!This is what I have so far
    IMG_6629.jpgIMG_66281.jpg(I know these are from the original sale thread but my camera's broken. I should be getting it fixed soon)
    Last edited by Theo; 20th May 2017 at 23:58.

Here's what you want for grub screws: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-TENSI...9eiKkiMwAIX0tg

Some 8mm long M5s should do you fine. Might want to find an M5 tap as well, makes your life a whole lot easier. I like the clusterbot idea, hope you can get it in under weight.

Thanks so much, I found some reverse thread chuck screws on eBay too for about a fiver. The motors I bought seem to be a pair of B&Q drills, a wickes one and another unknown make, two of the chuck screws matched so the missing one must be a different type. they ranged from 22mm (one) to 16mm (pair), I'm going to play safe and get a 20mm screw to be on the safe side while not being too big. I don't suppose you have any useful measurements of yours for reference? These are the only motors I've ever bought so I don't really know the average size of the screws. Thanks anyways for the link to the grub screws, I'm going to place an order tomorrow, thanks.
    Last edited by Theo; 21st May 2017 at 01:12.

The left-hand screws on my machine are just under 20mm long. They're all from exactly the same model of drill. Always worth buying screws on the longer side if you don't know though, if it ends up being too long you can always just get a hacksaw and cut a bit off.

Yep, thanks, 20mm seems best.

Hi Theo
    I thought you might be interested in how I was to fit those motors in my middleweight
    which I never finished.
    I bought 4 car exhaust clamps to fit round the body of the drills without stripping them
    down and welded them to a lightweight but strong strip of steel-the motors in thier
    original drill formation clamped into the frame and were very secure,this frame was to
    be bolted to the bodywork and then spindled wheels -probably nylon tyred could be
    offered to the chuck,tightened and the jaws of the chuck welded shut.
    I disscussed how you could use servos in your electrics for quick soloution-
    heres a pic I took of the frame I made with measurements if it helps with ideas-
    You can have the frame if you can use it and are passing sometime to collect.
    total width 15"" clamp sizes 2"" and 2 1/2" weight 400 gramDSCN1749.jpg

Hi Colin. Unfortunately, I've already modified the motors and they aren't in the original formation, they didn't quite fit in the chassis with the chucks. The main issue at the moment is finding decent speed controllers, I fear the servo drive might not be too reliable, plus the source of the non-working drill in testing turned out to be a disconnected cable in the switch (works now). But regardless, thank you for the offer, I'm sorry.

A bit of an update, after advice, the hobbwying quicrun doesn't seem enough to run the motors. I messaged Rory to see if the Feather2 could run four motors, but I've had no response, and the manual document says it can only run 2. My current thoughts are leaning towards getting 2 Botbitz 85A controllers, as a couple of people have said to me they use them on 4WD bots. However, buying both of those will take up my entire budget, the clusterbot idea will be a long gone memory, something I'd rather not like to happen. With that in mind, I'm going to get a couple of pre-owned Feather2s or Sabretooths (Sabreteeth?). Any combination, so long as there are 2. I really want to make a clusterbot, and this will be the only way. Does anyone have any spare Sabretooth 2x12, feather2, scorpion xl/xxl controllers or indeed any dual controllers for feathers lying around going spare? If so, please PM me. I'd like to get this ready for the upcoming events, if sign up isn't already over (the site gives extremely few details on deadlines). thank you so much
    Last edited by Theo; 14th June 2017 at 21:35.

Second update, first half done! (Speed controller kindly donated by Dave). Cease is completed, barring batteries. It looks a tad empty, so why not saw it in half? Seriously, I realised I have no HDPE left for Desist, so I was wondering whether cutting it in half and bolting an axe onto the non-wedge side would be a decent idea. Also, there's a load of weight left over, why not cover it in aluminium chequer plate? I'll post a picture of it soon.

any reason why you cant order any more HDPE or is the Aluminium chequer plate something you already have ?

Register To Comment