Register To Comment
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Squirrel

Just wasn't powerful enough for the mechanism, and with me being an eager beaver, I kept pressing forward to try and get it to move. So it was my fault completely haha.

Team Kaizen

Hmm... what sort of mechanism is it?
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

The mechanism is an electrical version of series 4-7 Shunt's axe linkage system, with a hint of Mortis' repeater style axe.

I had a quick look at your build log for Ratatoskr, if you use one of those small scooter motors gear it down a little, at does have a little more torque the a rs550 but as much as i like the idea of this style of axe, you might want to simplify the whole axe system to a typical scooter system

Yeah, if it doesn't fully work as it is, I might end up having to do so.

And as per request of Ocracoke, this was an image that I shown to a friend.
    axe mech.png
    I know it looks a little... lackluster on paper, but honestly when it worked it had some force on the downstroke.

Team Kaizen

That is a lot of linkages but even so, I can't see why it would burn out a motor unless it was out of sync...?

So I was a bit of a pillock in describing the motor burnout, and I found the proper failure point. The first linkage from the motor didn't have any relief (room for the bolt to move back and forth so the motor can make it's full rotation) so to speak, so the motor pressed against an immovable object. Whiiiich in turn lead to a busted drill motor...

But, I bought some LED and a 24v scooter motor that'll be ran at 18v, so major thanks to you guys for the links and recommendations.

Team Kaizen

Ah, I see now. When I was prototyping an axe mechanism, I was forever getting it wrong and eating cardboard linkages as result.

Maybe when we get to Manchester, I can give you a proper look at the linkages once it's all said and done haha.

Well this may be a little annoying, ahaha.

So I took a proper look at the new motor I got, and I figured I could try and get the timing belt... gear, is it? either way, I thought I could get that little piece off and then stick some hdpe to it so I can retry the mechanism and move from there... not so easy, as I have no idea on how I could get it off. It's got little tabs that hold it to the keyed axle of the motor and it refuses to move... any advice on how to get it off there without breaking it all? Or would it be better to bite the bullet and go for a belt driven axe?

Register To Comment