Register To Comment
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Squirrel

Here is a suggestion. get some t81 wheels and get a 5/16 hub and tap it for 3/8 ( might need to double check that but the chart i looked at said that was the size of hole you needed to tap 3/8 tread into) and us t81 wheels. The big downside is that i cannot find them being sold in the UK so banebots is the only place to get them so cost can be a issue. Also if you don't have a tap and die set or not able to get someone to do it for you locally that is another cost.

Sorry, a 5/16" hole is too small. The tap will be cutting more than 100% of the thread depth, which is an excellent way to snap it. You are looking at the hole size for a UNC 3/8-16 thread.

derp nevermind didn't read it correctly.
    http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-tap-standard.htm

Quote Originally Posted by overkill View Post
    Sorry, a 5/16" hole is too small. The tap will be cutting more than 100% of the thread depth, which is an excellent way to snap it. You are looking at the hole size for a UNC 3/8-16 thread.
    Reading more into it wouldn't a m8/m9 size hole work

(my working. 3/8 unf requires a "Q" sized drilled hole which is 0.332 in which is 8.4328mm)
    Last edited by Maxamuslead; 31st October 2017 at 11:39. Reason: Looked like a tool

You are looking at the wrong thread; check the next line down for the 3/8-24 drill size. That chart says a Q sized drill which is right between 21/64" and 8.5mm

Forgive my ignorance, as I've not read through the whole thread, but are you basically after a 5" wheel with a 3/8" UNF nut attached to fit to a drill motor? If so, I've got a couple of homemade wheels from the previous incarnation of Drumroll still kicking about. They're 5" (give or take a smidge as they have bike tyre screwed on and it's worn a bit) and I welded a UNF nut onto a couple of pieces of steel which then bolt to the HDPE wheel. They're not pretty and they're not entirely concentric (so they wobble a little but nothing noticeable in the arena) but if they would be of use to you, let me know and I'll dig them out. Will be back in my workshop next week.

dr2_build (95).jpg

Honestly Jamie, that would work wonders. Mind you, they don't have to look pretty, they're going to be hidden away haha. I'll send you a PM tomorrow when I can, and maybe work something out?

So tomorrow... I crack the dremel out, and start work on cutting pieces out of the axe mechanism so not only would it be a little narrower, so that it'd fit in the middle, but also to try and get the drill motor to come in a little bit more towards the centre and maybe a little bit more even too... if that makes any sense at all haha.

Well that was ever so slightly short lived...

The dremel discs that I was using just decided to up and shatter when I got to a point in the plastic... well, time to look for some new dremel cutting discs.

Team Kaizen

What sort of discs are you using? I use the EZ speedclic discs and am able to cut through 10mm HDPE with a metal cutting disc with little issue.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

I was using Workzone "cutting" discs... though I highly doubt they were, and I'm more than likely thinking they're sanding discs... well I'm a bit of an idiot. Either way, I still need better cutting discs. And I'm using a Workzone dremel.

Register To Comment