Register To Comment
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by Roboteernat View Post
    potentially something like the smaller one will assist, but may need to grind down the ends a bit to get the 'fingers' to sit under the pulley...

https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Kukko-...er-Set-23561-p

And Bearing boys have their 20% off now too? - checking this...

code "BEARINGS20"

Simply Bearings link:
    https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p7...duct_info.html

Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Piece-3-...IAAOSwWE9ZiySR

Never really rated those tools, Me and my Dad try to remove a bearing with on of those and it didn't budge so we smashed the cast iron outer shell (as we had a spare one) and cut it off

i would agree with you, but for low budget and something that should come off easily, i think they will do, hence the opinion the last link should do the trick.
    The 3 armed types are ok, we use them at work, but not the best.

Well, after a lot of swearing, a candle lighter, two screwdrivers; one that was already bent at the tip thanks to a paint can haha, a wrench, and my good old friend of mine, we managed to get the pulley off of the axle. Hooray! Now just need to epoxy on more HDPE to it, then go from there.

But it does mean we're back on the right track, somewhat.

Also, thanks Nat for the idea with the lighter, worked a treat on wearing the glue out, and the heat expansion too.

So I'm pretty sure it's the same for some people, but the snow has definitely made it a little more... difficult, to say the least. Fingers crossed the weather is wrong tomorrow and I'll be able to get back to work on Ratatoskr... and I may need to buy more HDPE, but I'll get to that problem when it comes around haha.

But the pulley is now secure in the HDPE piece, and now I need to do mounts and trimming, before testing once more and then armour templating.

glad the lighter trick worked for you. Hope the weather was good for you, im hoping tomorrow there is less rainy stuff so i can do some grinding and welding

Well, fingers crossed on Friday that me and my friend can get our fingers out our noses (and the weather stays stable) as after many templating issues, I managed to make a template that looks like it'd work, and we'd just have to cut it out of hdpe, make drill holes for it to sit in the original bolt holes for the original mount, make sure it's stable, and make sure it runs smooth enough, before having to work on templating the armour and adding a spike to the weapon, else it'd just be a light plastic club haha.

Got a bit on my plate so to speak, but hopefully, if I take it bite by bite, then we should be ready for Manchester... Good bloody christ, where'd this year go to already?

Team Kaizen

I know the feeling, I've been working on a few other robots and projects so much I need to find time to work on mine. :S Sure I can find a day or two.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

So, progress so far...

Templated the right hand side of armour for Ratatoskr out of cardboard. Just need to cut it all into it's relative chunks, make it a little neater, then cut it all out of HDPE

Ordered another sheet of HDPE, same thickness and size as the last one. Just in case I don't have enough with what I have, haha.

Things to do;

Cut out weapon motor mount, place it in Ratatoskr and make sure it's stable.

Solder plug to motor, and place the pulley with HDPE piece onto said motor, along with making relief in longest piece.

Resolder lights for the third and final time. Got the new ones as said before, and they should work.

Cut out armour from the HDPE remaining over, use the templates to do both sides if applicable.

Create skidplate so it can run a lot smoother.

Add spike on axe and create locking mechanism so that I don't break rules, both made out of rolled steel.

And as an optional thing to do, paint it all with an reddish-orange colouration and give it an electric blue double stripe down the middle. Oh, and a couple of shirts as well, just for team ID sake haha.

Just need to take my time, make sure it's all done to a good enough standard, and hopefully, I can make it to Manchester in a month's time.

So, I took a look at the markings I made on the HDPE to make the armour, and in all honesty, I didn't like it. They looked so small, and I don't want to waste more money, so I bit the bullet and decided "Right, that needs a complete remeasuring before I start carving into it." So that's what I plan on doing. I'm going to make sure that each piece will fit where it needs to, and take my time.

Will I be able to make it to Manchester? Fingers crossed I do... If anything, I'd get the armour on, lights sorted, weapon on and just go in full hdpe, with the legal set ups too such as locking mechanisms and a raised table of sorts to keep it's wheels off the floor.

So after some re-templating, I've managed to get all of it onto both sheets of HDPE... now is a matter of time when the weather decides that it's had enough pouring rain down in Sheffield and let me have my way with cutting, drilling, and bolting it all together. And then add lights... and then make sure the plugs are accessible.

Register To Comment