Register To Comment
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Squirrel

Team Kaizen

I don't know of any featherweights that run castors [...]
    The Honey Badger does use a castor on the front and previously did so on the rear when the wheels were located in the middle. Strictly speaking the rebuilt version doesn't need it., it has enough force to move on its HDPE base with the motors driving it along but I find it helps make it a little more controllable. I use castor balls in mine (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301529661473) rather than a wheel to help with ground clearance.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

So, just got my second sheet of HDPE, and to top it all off, Nat gave me a pair of light strips that I can pretty much place where I wish onto the robot. So as soon as the weather's clear again, I can cut out some wheels for the drive, wire it all up and test it all out. Special thanks goes out to Nat for the superb delivery, and like I said, if my motor mounts don't cut the mustard, I'll definitely be contacting him to see if I can get some motor mounts from him.

Well, I posted this on my build diary, but I'm going to put this question out on here just in case, because I don't want to burn through an ESC because of a stupid mistake. So here's my diagram, so to speak.

question.png

Is this the correct wiring? Or have I got things wrong? The black box with the line through it is the fuse, just for the sake of time haha.

Also, I know I got some of the markings unfinished, just... kinda hurried with it, my apologies.
    Last edited by Outlaw; 9th August 2017 at 22:59.

Well I guess you can ignore the last post, got it answered in the Build Diary, so there's that haha.

Insert loud sighing noises here.

So... I tried using EC3 connectors... and I keep spilling the solder out over the edge and down the sides of the little connector things, which means I can't get them into the housing... so I'm thinking of either getting some EC5 connectors from Hobbyking or take a train to Dodworth and go to Fast-Lad to get some. And get a couple more metres of 14awg wire too. Any recommendations on wires? Or am I better off getting more Turnigy 14awg wires?

Unless there's a better way of doing it.

Oh yeah, I've also learnt how to tin wires properly, so that's something I'm somewhat proud of.

Same thing happens with the EC5s depending on what gauge of wire you use. The trick is getting just enough solder in the cup to form a good bond but not spill over. I'm still trying to find that balance

What I do is take a small flat file and just file down the solder (it files away quite quickly) until the connector fits in the housing/opposite connection. It's a bit time consuming is the only thing, so can get monotonous when you're soldering several connectors.

The XT range of connectors don't suffer from the solder overflow.

I've had the same problem with the EC5s. If there is not too much solder spilled down the side you can get them into the housing with a bit or force when they are still hot from soldering. The heat makes the plastic just pliable enough for them to go in. Careful not to burn your fingers and good luck if you ever want to get them back out.

Failing that, as Jamie says, a quick file to remove the excess will usually get them in.

Well... I think that I should honestly get started on the batteries. Only problem is I don't think I have a charging lead that can connect to EC5 (yes, turns out I have EC5s, not EC3s, I'm bloody wally...) connectors, so I think I may have to fashion one out of one of the charging leads... is this a good idea or is it a relatively bad one?

Also, is housing LiPo batteries in an old ASDA plastic food box a good thing to do cushioned in with packing foam or is it a relatively sketchy thing to do?

Any advice here'd be greatly appreciated.

PS, watching the 20 man rumble of I61, and I swear if it wasn't Robochallenge, I'd have thought someone'd bring in tables, ladders and chairs into the ring... wrestling jokes ahoooooy...

Team Kaizen

Also, is housing LiPo batteries in an old ASDA plastic food box a good thing to do cushioned in with packing foam or is it a relatively sketchy thing to do?
    I would think it was OK, it is what I've done with my LiFePO4 batteries (though I am open to being wrong here if that isn't a thing to do). I've screwed down the battery box to the chassis board and then screwed the lid to the box, lining the box with material on the base and the lid and having the same material supporting the box on the overhang from the screws.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Register To Comment