Register To Comment
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Squirrel

Well, managed to get more cut out, got all the panels cut, and the side panels drilled and attached, with a hole on the back to access the links too. Just need to bend the sides back into shape because the radiator the HDPE stood next to heated it up, and I never realised it until I tried to bolt it together, so more than likely, I'm going to try and bend it a little more haha. BUT progress has been made!

Right half of the robot all bolted up, just need to do the left half, then vacuum it all out from the top, remount it all, solder the lights and motor, reattach the weapon and then a test drive. I don't think I'll be able to get a skidplate on unless someone jerry rigs me one on the day, but that's about it.

Also, thanks to my mom, I may only be able to attend one day of the event only... unless I can convince her that someone can take me from Sheffield to Manchester... though knowing her, I highly doubt it...

Team Kaizen

I don't think I'll be able to get a skidplate on unless someone jerry rigs me one on the day
    I have some offcuts of Aluminium treadplate that should suffice. I can adapt it on the day.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Well, due to my own incompetence in verbal communication, I won't be making it Saturday... BUT Sunday is a definite shout... if John allows me to join in on that day haha....

All that needs to be done now is soldering and that's IT. And maybe a little decoration...

EDIT: Yep, got confirmation of being able to join in on Sunday, so hopefully I'll see y'all in Manchester then.
    Last edited by Outlaw; 21st April 2018 at 00:38.

Team Kaizen

Awesome-sauce, see you tomorrow.

Well, insert long explicitives here...

despite 4 straight days of work, and a lot of pain in my body, I'm not going to be able to join in on the fun in Manchester...

But it gives me time to recover and improve on ol' Ratatoskr a little.

What the problems ? As we could be able to fix it at Manchester

Everything was misaligned. The front plates and the side plates were fighting for the same space, the bolts wouldn't go in straight and it all felt like a bodge job. Just wouldn't survive in the arena.

But I guess all is not lost, as I can just take my time for another event, and make sure everything's properly in place, easy to get on and easy to take off too, without destroying myself.

Okay so I guess I should do an update seeming as I've not done that in a while, haha.

So, the general consensus me and my friend is going at here, is that we're going to make Ratatoskr a little bigger. Which means redoing all of the HDPE... And although that's not the end of the world, it could be a lot better.

And we're going to go with rounded numbers, so to speak... so lengthwise, it's going to be 60 cm long, widthwise'll be 50 cm wide, and heightwise'll be 40 cm tall. Not only will that be much better to try and organise, I can also try to get it cut out by the people of DirectPlastics... if I contact them, considering it all haha. They don't do complex shapes, but if I just ask them to do the rectangular shapes, and I cut out the necessary angles out, then it'll be all hunky dory.

As for what's going to happen with the other pieces? Weeeeell, they're more than likely going to be reused for other projects. And the baseplate can be used as a testing bench, so to speak.

And now I have a working area outside too! Which means Ratatoskr's been moved into that space... which is all the way down the other end of the sodding garden haha. Oh well, least I have the space to work indoors now... as long as I don't get HDPE dust in my mom's dying equipment.

Team Kaizen

If I may ask, why the size change? Seems to be a lot of effort down the drain.

Register To Comment