Register To Comment
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 300A VESC in the works, feature suggestions wanted

A200S V2 Now available for pre-order here: http://teamtriforceuk.com/a200s-v2/
    The A200S is a 200A 16S ESC, based upon the VESC®*-Project.
    * VESC is a registered TM, owned by Benjamin Vedder
    Last edited by TechAUmNu; 14th February 2019 at 19:08.

Features - cost less than a tenner. You'll be very popular

A potted case is a REALLY bad idea! I tried that on a number of IFI Victors a few years ago and they all eventually died. It was traced back to the potting resin expanding at a different rate to the PCB and causing solder joints to crack. A thin conformal coating is a better bet. Room to add our own shock mounts is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by overkill View Post
    A potted case is a REALLY bad idea! I tried that on a number of IFI Victors a few years ago and they all eventually died. It was traced back to the potting resin expanding at a different rate to the PCB and causing solder joints to crack. A thin conformal coating is a better bet. Room to add our own shock mounts is a good idea.
    Good to know! Its probably best to not have any coating then to make it easier to replace parts.

As for pricing I don't want it to be over £300 current BOM is ~£120 + board.

Quote Originally Posted by shakesc View Post
    Not sure on the integrated shock mounts. Prefer some flexibility on mounting e.g. mount into a shock mounted electronics box

I'm looking to drive 8019 Neumotors - http://neumotors.com/80xx-series-electric-motors/
    I will make the mounting points on the board with plenty of room around them instead, then it gives people mounting flexibility.

So about 350A peak on those motors, I might end up making another board with 6 or 8 fets per phase if there is demand. It really bumps the price up though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinski1 View Post
    There's a couple of us trying to build 300A ESCs now.

Personally I'm not a fan of directFETs, can't inspect joints, package is unique to Infineon and they seem to discontinue them quickly. HSOF packages seem much better to me, it's what they use in the Vex BB controllers.
    I was thinking that too, only real reason I was going with them was for the ability to stick a heatsink directly onto them, but looking at the HSOF I am going to use this one instead.
    http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/196/Infin...-en-767648.pdf
    Has almost half the on resistance and bumps the current rating way up for a very small price increase.

Thanks!

Would people prefer it to be

A) Smaller with no 5v Dc-DC. i.e. OPTO
    B) Larger with integrated 5v Dc-Dc about 2A (also makes it £10-20 more expensive)

I think its best to be OPTO since people will likely already have a 5v dc-dc and if they don't they can easily add one.

Register To Comment