Register To Comment
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 300A VESC in the works, feature suggestions wanted

OPTO sounds sensible to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinski1 View Post
    OPTO, but integrated diode on the output works quite well too.
    What do you mean?

If you're going opto, may as well go with a proper opto isolator to avoid joining ground planes through the RX; I've had signal issues when joining up non opto isolated high power ESCs.

Also, the HSOF packages ideally need thermal vias and to be heatsunk through the board. You can heatsink the case but it's not as efficient. Without a heatsink you'll likely get about 160A cont from 4 of those FETs, so to get to 300A you'll need to dump a lot of heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidrory View Post
    If you're going opto, may as well go with a proper opto isolator to avoid joining ground planes through the RX; I've had signal issues when joining up non opto isolated high power ESCs.

Also, the HSOF packages ideally need thermal vias and to be heatsunk through the board. You can heatsink the case but it's not as efficient. Without a heatsink you'll likely get about 160A cont from 4 of those FETs, so to get to 300A you'll need to dump a lot of heat.
    I have added an opto isolator for the reciever input.

For the current design it works out about 110W of dissipation, which should be fine. It will run quite hot 120oC at 300A continuous load. The heatsink is in contact with all power components on both sides of the pcb and some of the board itself next to the fets. Board is probably going to be 2-4 layer with 4oz - 6oz copper and copper bus bars for each phase and power input.

The heatsink is going to be around 1oC/W or better and will form a custom two part machined aluminium case.

Any preference on connector/wire size?

Thinking either 8mm or 10mm bullets on the board or short (<10cm) single 6AWG or dual 8AWG cable.

Was thinking it would be nice if they could bolt together in a stack and have a parallel bus bar that can run between them to cut down on cables. Then a single cable can connect them to the battery. (Or at least that is what I want for Triforce due to the limited space) This option would require to use bullets soldered to the pcb to be practical.

bullet connectors are handy or copper lugs like the big Kontronik ESCs:

They are slower to work with but very reliable.

That looks really nice! Only problem with lugs is they are relatively heavy for the surface area, and you then have quite a long connection since the lug has to protrude from the case.

Register To Comment