Register To Comment
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheels for a cordless drill gear motor | Any suggestions?

hmm wondered where you got those large blue ones from... Still, no use in my current project

A quick work of caution on the Bearing Boys blue wheels that are linked a couple of posts up. They do not have a plain bore centre, instead they have a roller bearing pressed into them which makes them no good for fitting on to the drill motor/gearbox output shaft. (Yes, I bought some without checking ). You could press the bearing out but the bore you are left with is bigger than the O/D of the typical 3/8UNF nut, so still not straight forward.

Bearing boys do a grey wheel which does have a plain bore that a 3/8UNF nut can be inserted/melted into. They feel about the same level of grip as the blue wheels, but I have nothing to confirm this.

Also as noted both the blue wheels and the grey wheels are heavy, but feel reasonably sturdy. I got some nylon wheels from them and screwed mountain bike tyre on to the outside and saved around 300g for a pair of 4" wheels.

bearingboys wheels need to be 'plain bore' to be the ones suitable.
    i bought a selection of blue wheels, and they are fine.

Although the better grippy ones i bouht through a work supplier - BIL group. They are amazing but sadly bearing boys were just cheaper with a 20% off code, however the rubber is slightly different.

Thanks everyone for all your replies! I have a good understanding of what to get now You are all awesome

Sounds like you got the wrong ones Al, need the plain bore centre ones as Nat mentioned. The bore on these is 12mm, which is a decent amount for pressing a nut into: https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Blue-E...r-Wheel-8698-p

there are 12mm bore ones which are the 125 and 100mm diameter wheels, the 80mm diametert wheels are 8mm bore - the 80mm are the ones from BIL. i made some nuts up from some hex silver steel and pressed them into a newly drilled hole bigger that 12mm, so as long as you have suitable wall thickness, you could make some up for your diameter - contact me if you would like some made up. will add pic when i find it on phone

Hey everyone,

I have been wheel shopping and I found a cheap wheel which I thought was the right bore (It was advertised as 9mm bore). I thought with that size I could screw it straight on but no such luck unfortunately! It's actually about a 10mm bore which is a little too big.

20170519_201235.jpg

So I had a look at Ellis's videos, like R9000 suggested, about melting the brass nut into the wheel. This looks like it will be a good plan but I just want to make sure of a few things first!

1: Does this look like the 3/8 UNF thread? Because the guy in the DIY store seemed to think it was a 10mm x 1mm machine thread. Is that the same? I done know xD What do you guys think?

20170519_201223.jpg

2: Whats the proper name for the brass 1 inch nut thing Ellis used? cus I cant find the bleeding thing! lol

Thanks a lot everyone for your help!

Will

The guy in the DIY store doesn't have the backgroundf knowledge. And a M10 is close to a 3/8 UNF.
    So yes, it looks like the standard 3/8unf.

Register To Comment