Register To Comment
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is hardox absolutely necessary??

Methinks we need some new composites to come out at some point. Something light and springy, but also strong.

The issue with composite panels is replacing them. Hardox can be cut out and a new piece welded in. A composite either needs to be monocoque which means a new chassis each time or bolted on which means the bolts become the weak points.

Will hold out normal ramming attacks and low power axes.
    But for that weight, you can use 10mm HDPE and have weight left.

We're useing 3mm Mild steel.. But do have 12mm round bar inside the bot for extra strength.. I can't afford Hardox but will see how Griffalo goes. Can always make it smaller and add a thicker mm steel

As a reference, this is what Carbide did to the mild steel on Nuts: https://www.facebook.com/nutsrobotic...type=3&theater

Quote Originally Posted by J.A.G View Post
    We're useing 3mm Mild steel.. But do have 12mm round bar inside the bot for extra strength.. I can't afford Hardox but will see how Griffalo goes. Can always make it smaller and add a thicker mm steel
    I have a load of hardox you can have FOC your local to me some come take it away Clevedon

Quote Originally Posted by R9000 View Post
    No offence intended, but I think 8mm angled is a bit overboard.
    Last rites bent 1" thick hardox equivalent at Robogames

8mm is definitely not overboard lol

To be fair, it did take several enormous smashes from the most destructive spinner in the game to bend that stuff. The total kinetic energy used to bend that panel must've been immense. And again, nobody has the weight for 8mm all over. Whoops! and Sewer Snake are only armoured at the front as far as I know. Whoops! even has the advantage of having no active weapon mechanism, which wouldn't be allowed on TV.

That said, I do understand that 8mm isn't overboard for more heavily-armoured sections. But I still think it is if your entire HW shell is made up of it.
    Last edited by R9000; 12th July 2017 at 15:03.

With the right design 8mm will take anything really, it depends on the design and how its supported/mounted and if it is angled just as much as the thickness IMO

Register To Comment