Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Esc Advice

So, building is underway now (I sanded down two edges on a shell I bought from Harry) on my new featherweight. I have motors sorted out, and a battery in mind (Ni-MH. Not LiPo just yet). The only thing left is which Esc I should pick. Due to my very limited budget, I'm going to use two speed controllers for a 4wd setup. My options consist of two of those eBay 320A dual ones. They say they can brake and there are dual motor models (still getting two though, one for each side). The question I have is as followed: do they brake or not? I can more or less work my way around the control issues, just the braking I need to know. Alternatively, I can use a pair of hobbywing dual quickruns. The dual motor option goes up to 12 cells (Ni-MH, I work with those numbers), 2 more than I need. They do cost twice as much, and I'm not sure it comes with a fan. Thanks.
    Last edited by Theo; 18th May 2017 at 22:53.

Forget the "cheap" options. In the short run, they will be more expensive, even if they can do the job halfassed.

Better to save up a bit, and buy a good one to start with. We're using the IBF 4.5 in our raptors and feathers.
    Not the most powerfull ESC, but those 2x40 Deutsche Grundlicheids ampères outshine the 320 Chinese ampère el cheapos in any respect.

People do run Quicruns in competition so they are doable. I had a couple blow up the other weekend but to be fair I was using meaty motors and 75c 4s LIPOs and I think my signal mixer was playing up too.
    Last edited by lowndsy; 11th May 2017 at 10:51.

Would they work for testing, though? To be honest, I just want a pair of speed controllers that drive the motors for now, I don't think I'll be able to make any events for another 6 months to a year (depending on if robot wars does a FW tournament). So, would the cheap eBay ones do the trick just for testing? Do they brake? (key question) ​Thanks.
    Last edited by Theo; 11th May 2017 at 16:05.

I would, but I'm not sure they can run four 550S motors. It only says 2 in the doc. I'm going to buy 2 of those cheap eBay ones just for testing. They're £10 each so not too much of a loss. After, I might get a couple of Botbitz 30A controllers and modify them to run 2 motors each on the same channel (if that's possible), or a couple, of hobbywing dual controllers, or a Feather2 if it can do 4WD (plus I can get it repaired at a reasonable cost).

Those cheap ones are probably only good for a car or truck. The 'brake' as on the one I have, basically means that you cant go directly from Rev to Fwd without having to stop in the neutral position. For a car or truck that's OK, but for a robot that is using tank steering it means you cant easily steer or drive it. There are ones without the brake function, but they seem to be import only from china.

well depending how "cheap" you want to go, you could get some Turnigy TZ85a ESCs re program them at £36 each , and they would do you great, however you can get them pre done but for another £28.50.

Side note, where does one buy a
    Feather2 and can someone link it's spec sheet?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxamuslead View Post
    well depending how "cheap" you want to go, you could get some Turnigy TZ85a ESCs re program them at £36 each , and they would do you great, however you can get them pre done but for another £28.50.

Side note, where does one buy a
    Feather2 and can someone link it's spec sheet?
    Rapid Rory makes and sells the FeatherTwo, plus Ant controllers:
    http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/members/1557-rapidrory

I'll be messaging Rory at some point to enquire about them. I remember a post by him ages ago saying it can run in 4WD, or that could be his beetleweight controller instead. In any case, I'll be ordering two cheap eBay speed controllers (on Amazon ironically) to test everything out. My only concern with a dual controller is if one's damaged, the whole drive is gone, with singles they can easily be replaced. Though the repair offer is good to know. Thanks. I should be opening a build diary very soon so I can get some more advice as I go along. Thanks again.

Register To Comment