Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FW Spinner Advice please :-)

Hi guy. Just want a bit of advice pls.
    Iv been on with building FW crusher for a while and iv been having allot of trouble with a few things and have put the idea of a crusher on hold for a while.
    I wanted to make one because I find them really fun to watch, however another bot I find really fun to watch is Yetti from BB so going to base it on that I think.
    I already have a prototype 4wd rambot made that whizzes around no problem. So it's the weapon system I need help with.

I want to use the V belt and pulley approach so it acts like a clutch system. But not really sure where to get the pulleys and belts from and what type because there seems to be loads. So thought I'd ask the experts here.
    Also iv seen various people using different approach to bearings, bushes, fixed shaft etc etc.., any advice there or is it each to there own.?

Weapon drum/blades:
    Currently I'm thinking about 100mm diameter.. maybe 150.
    Because it's my first one I don't think I want to shell out for a full drum so may get 4 x 10mm thick hardox 500 discs cut and slam them together instead.

Weapon motor:
    18v Makita circular saw motor. Anyone else got experience using one of these... it seems ruthless when I am using to cut through mild steel strut and stuff at work, so imagined it would make a good weapon motor.. and the brushless version is even more hardcore at 5000rpm. The standard brushed version I use is 3100. Think they are between 600 and 750w

Anyway a bit of advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Matt
    Last edited by MattLampitt; 6th May 2017 at 17:31.

I don't know a whole load about spinners so others will have to chime in here, but I know a lot of roboteers use beltingonline.com for pulleys, belts, gears and sprockets. As for bearings and bushings, I'm not very inexperienced in that area, but PP3D uses bearings and Aftershock uses phosphor bronze bushings, so it might be a matter of preference or simply a case-by-case thing.
    Your circular saw motor, does it come out of the casing OK? That's the first thing you really need to consider when taking apart tools as sometimes the casing of the tool can form the casing of the motor, and then it becomes a bit difficult to rebuild the thing.

What you've got sounds plenty substantial for a featherweight to me.

IMG_5462.jpg
    Well........ it's arrived :-)
    Seems to work well on the bushings but Imagine it will need polishing to a shine to work best.
    now to search for a pully and belts.

Before I buy 2 of these and a belt to go with..... are they suitable or not? Or is there better choices?
    IMG_5463.jpg

Also.... what methods of fixing the pully to the disk to people use? I'll be using a dead shaft and imagine just welding the pulley to the disk.

I used to get all my gears and pulleys and clutches from http://www.hpcgears.com/

belting online are a regular customer mentioned on here, also try

bearingboys - often have 20% discounts for email newsletter subscribers

simplybearings

Register To Comment