Register To Comment
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bolts - Featherweight Flail Bot

you can export sketchup files as DXF file (which you will need to do at some point) using plugins

:EDIT,

Is the scaling right on that model ? as this it next to my bot which is 1:1 scale in sketchupProject Blacksmith v3.png
    Last edited by Maxamuslead; 4th June 2017 at 19:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxamuslead View Post
    you can export sketchup files as DXF file (which you will need to do at some point) using plugins
    Thanks, I'll update the file type and download link.

EDIT: Done
    Last edited by callumhoy; 4th June 2017 at 19:07.

So... It's been far too long since I've updated this. With one simple reason, progress has been slowed down due to personal life.

However, with it being so close to the event, I thought it was time to give you an update. So, in a quick summary:
    1) Upgraded to a FeatherTwo ESC
    2) Upgraded to LiPo batteries
    3) We've ditched the flails. This one was a tough call for me, I really wanted to do flail weapons to stop us being another boring wedge. However, we've decided that our completely over the top armour thickness takes precedent, and we don't have the weight to do both.
    4) The front wedge is no longer metal, but solid wood covered in HPDE, again weight issues. This is what happens when you don't plan on a computer and just decide to make it up as you go along.

But looking beyond the 9th September, to the future of Bolts. Here's a few possibilities we've been looking into.
    1) Taking away the wood layer, to a HDPE chassis only. This would free up the weight to add some of the things we've had to drop this time.
    2) Learning some pneumatics to design and implement a Wheely Big Cheese style flipper into the wedge. Hoping to talk to a few of the teams at the event who use pneumatics as I learn better seeing after seeing a physical example than just reading references online.
    3) I really want those flails back, so I might built a smaller, more square bodied robot, that would better suit the flail weapon type.

Most of all, we're just looking forward to our first event, learning from the experience and talking to other competitors. Even though we're almost certainly coming home in a bag from what I saw of insomnia over the weekend.

Register To Comment