Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolts - Featherweight Flail Bot

Extreme Robots is in Colchester in September, close enough to me (within 100 miles), that I can justify making it the teams first event.
    So because PC Plod won't be ready for heavyweight competition, The Scrappers are making an invertable wooden wedge, driven by Argos drills to enter into the featherweight division. The goal being to keep it as cheap as possible, whilst still being effective.
    Due to a lack of experience and time, we've decided to go with two chain flails attached to the back of the bot as our main weapon. We're also considering adding some spikes facing up the wedge, allowing us to hold others on top of the robot (should they drive up it) and drive them around.

Some questions before the build officially begins:
    1) What is an average size guide for featherweight bots?
    2) Which type of sheet metal and what thickness would you recommend we cover the wood with for armour?
    3) Are the spikes on the wedge worth it? Would they help control other bots, or just get in the way when running upside down?

Looks like I'll have to do a lot of testing to find a way around the beaching issue if it arises. Hopefully it won't be much of an issue, the wheels I'm using should be big enough to keep it moving, even with something underneath it.
    Considering the lack of an active weapon, hopefully I'll be able to go a bit bigger, maybe 50cm x 70cm total.

Thanks for the info and the warning.

Drive circuit for Bolts has been roughly put together and tested. Now to build the chassis around it.
    Circuit.jpg

Well, this must be some pretty good beginner equipment if we're both using it. Thanks for the warning.

So, we're having a little trouble with how to attach the wheels.
    We're using the new Argos drill motors and some cheap wheels from Homebase.

The motors have a M5 reverse thread internal and a M10 external thread (we think).
    Motor.jpg
    The wheels have a 13mm bore, not threaded.
    Wheel.jpg
    Any recommendations on how to attach the wheel to the motor?
    If anyone has any links to correct size bolts or other parts to help, they will be really appreciated.

Unfortunately, drill gearboxes have a 3/8 UNF external thread. I don't know why they went with a weird imperial measurement, but they did. Your best bet is to find some 3/8 UNF nuts on eBay and melt them into your wheels. Go look up Ellis of Ranglebox's YouTube channel, there's a very good video there detailing how to do it.

Thanks for the quick help, off to eBay I go.

Register To Comment