Register To Comment
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bolts - Featherweight Flail Bot

Thanks, I'll give it a smooth over and see how much that helps

The HDPE finally arrived. Now it's gotta be cut to shape and fixed to Bolts.
    Planning to cut it with a fine toothed jigsaw, but I'm not sure how to fix it to the wood underneath, any advice?
    HDPE (1).jpg

In response to the previously mentioned lack of drive when turning, we have a couple of solutions we're considering.

1) Add a ball bearing style roller to the underside of the wedge, reducing friction and allowing easier turning.
    2) Double the width of the wheels by bolting two wheels together, increasing grip and contact area on the wheels.

I think widening the wheels might help quite a bit. Adding a roller might lift your wedge too far up off the floor.

Are you attaching HDPE over your wood? Why not just make the entire chassis out of HDPE?

We're attaching the HDPE over the wood for a couple of reasons.
    Firstly, we've got the extra weight to spare, so we thought why not.

Secondly, extra armour never hurts, especially when we don't have to worry about an active weapon, we want to keep maintenance costs down considering it's our first competing robot.

Thirdly, Bolts may often be lent out to young family members who want to get involved, so we think it's best it can survive multiple matches with as little damage as possible, so they get more enjoyment out of it

Fourth, we didn't think about the HDPE until after we built the wooden chassis.

The current plan for the front wedge on Bolts is to get it machined out of aluminium. This should create a strong front, whilst also saving a little on weight.
    Any recommendations for which type of aluminium to go for will be greatly appreciated.
    Wedge.jpg

7075 is the toughest I believe, but I'd make it out of tool steel or hardox.

yeah get a steel edge (HARDOX my suggestion). It would keep a sharper edge over aluminium and be should be resistant against damage

Tool Steel and Hardox would both take us above the 13.6kg weight limit. The 7075 should hold up, it's solid all the way through and shouldn't be taking full on hits from spinners.

Perhaps a steel edge could be done. I'll have to check the maths on that.

If anyone on here has the capabilities to machine 7075 aluminium and has the time and is willing. Please do take a look at the Sketchup files, the DXF file and the included photo with measurements HERE and PM me a quote. I am also sending off for quotes from a couple of local companies, so apologies if I don't reply particularly quickly.
    Wedge.jpg
    Last edited by callumhoy; 4th June 2017 at 19:07.

Register To Comment