Register To Comment
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Project "Blacksmith

Hey All

So, me and my teammate (my brother in law) are going started building a featherweight, a Hammer bot by the name of Blacksmith.

We have already got 2 REC gearboxes (24:1 550), a Turnigy Graphene Battery 2200 Turnigy TGY-I6

So this is the design we are planning,

Project Blacksmith.png

the front side and corners are planned to be 4 mm HARDOX of some grade (realistically 450 500 ) at a 45-degree angle, The rear and internal bracing is planned to be 10mm HDPE with the base and raised part of the top armour being 8mm.

The hammerhead will also be made out of 4mm HARDOX with the shaft being made out of aluminium 6082 with the A frame being made out of beryllium aluminium alloy (had some laying around.....) with 8 layers (4 each side)
    being bolted together each layer would be about 1.5mm thick with a 15mm square bar at each end (like what you can get from Ranglebox).

We planning to use a 350-watt scooter motor to power the hammer might be able to find a 450-watt version if we order from the US.

The Electronics currently look like a pair of Electronize FR15HX (got them for free of a work mate) for the drive and a Botbitz 30a for the weapon, however, we are not sure that it is enough.

Here is the current planned internal layout
    Project Blacksmith (without armour.png
    The weight I have calculated to be around 11.5 Kg

Any feedback is very welcomed.

(skechup Files below)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/popepaj57p...smith.skp?dl=0

So a fortnight has passed since my last post so I shall give you a quick rundown.

The original plan for the wheels didn't work, they were hollow and didn't take well to the setting of Tube Connectors in them so that idea when out the window. Instead, we used some banebots Wheels, (2in 7/ 8. Which lead to the first time having a bot which is able to move. YAY progress! Had to resolder a tonne due to really bad joints due to a really really REALLY bad iron which could not get hot enough, with our new iron no issues so far.

In other news, the design has evolved.

Untitled.jpg
    We have decided not use layers of beryllium aluminium alloy for the Arm A-frame due to fear is would bend. So all the internal struts are made from 10mm HDPE. Also after watching some Beta fights on youtube (mainly Beta vs Tombstone) and as you see In used the extra weight saved to add more armour higher up. This also allowed for a better top armour design which again saved some more weight allowing to add better strutting for the side armour. Fun fact the current set-up uses around 170 bolts. which is around 850g if my maths are right.

The latest head-scratcher is that would the benefits from used a bend hammer design (like Beta) be worth the extra completely and adding a weak point. complexity and adding a weak point.

Total Weight with bolts

12.146 kg

1.454 kg for weapon and wires

Again any feedback is welcomed.

(skechup File below)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yyexyngw38...%20v2.skp?dl=0
    Last edited by Maxamuslead; 14th May 2017 at 20:57.

It seems both your build and my build have both been inspired by the same best of the hammer bots!

quite possibly

If I'm not mistaken, the bend in betas hammer allows it to have higher armour at the front and keeps the mechanism more protected.

really ? I remembering reading on a wiki i think it allowed beta to hit taller bots with more force and looking at it, allow a long arc to impart energy into a electric hammer.

Another week goes by and little has happen.

Made a better test bed for the drive (the motors this were aligned correctly so progress) and had it driving around the grain shed all nice, but it raised a couple of questions. The bot should do about 8 mph, got the feeling that's on the low side , also what type of containers do people to hold batteries in robots, do people make custom battery boxes or strap it down somewhere or just uses a tonne of padding ?

My battery is actually just completely free-floating in the compartment, sandwiched with foam between two drive motors and the rest of the chassis. It's fairly stiff and thick foam, probably just a bit firmer than your average kitchen sponge. I know at least some others take this same approach.

Not much to report. Just trying the find the best location to get a t8f chain and sprockets. Was looking at this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-S...r=531461943084

I've been learning too, your in a similar place to me, but i am using a spinner.

I'm just about to test run my 24v wheel chair motors running on 36v, because i felt that mine was too slow also.
    If they burn out with 250kilos on top i have a plan.

I found someone who will Rewind them as 36v motors so i can get a little more out of them and keep the original gearbox and mounts then my spares remain useable !

I'm using a completely different speed controller to anything i've seen on the FRA forum, it took under 1 minute to plug in to my DX6I and have it set up exactly as i wanted. Test drive went well, and its so controllable !

Register To Comment