Register To Comment
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Project "Blacksmith

and the winner is.......

Roboteernat, Ding ding ding.

The bottom two magnets broke free the drop of adhesive they are held down with and hit the other two and each other.
    They are chipped but are in one piece.
    IMG_20180309_190015.jpg
    Is it worth re-glue and epoxy them in place and if so does anyone have a link to a good guide or thread somewhere or is magnet damage too much and I should just save the brushes and armature and get a new one?

It is worth the effort. Epoxy the hell out of those magnets, and when you buy a new one (spare parts are usefull) , make sure it's done in advance. It's one of the old tricks to make Bosch 750's more survivable.

Quote Originally Posted by maddox10 View Post
    It is worth the effort. Epoxy the hell out of those magnets, and when you buy a new one (spare parts are usefull) , make sure it's done in advance. It's one of the old tricks to make Bosch 750's more survivable.
    Any suggestions on a brand or type of epoxy?

Araldite springs to mind. But any 2 component epoxy will do a reasonable job there.

Ahh, thought so, just use some 2 part epoxy, one that is good for higher temperatures 50 degrees c will be fine. Some cheap Poundland type epoxy do break down at higher temps, and I’m guessing when the motor stalls on hit it will warm up a little bit,
    Araldite or building stores 2 part epoxy will be fine. Make sure you put a small amount behind otherwise the space between windings and magnet will be smaller. Put most around the edges of the magnet.

My last post in my build guide is me saying I’m going to take apart my linear actuator to see if I can make it lighter. Sadly in the process of dismantling it, ie hitting it with a hammer, I broke the magnets inside the motor in half. I’m going to 2 part epoxy mine back in to see if I can salvage it, but I doubt I can.

Edit, for those that are interested, this datasheet shows that araldite standard degrades at 40 degrees, meaning its easier to break at higher temperatures after 40 degrees. http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/25...waAsljEALw_wcB
    Last edited by Roboteernat; 10th March 2018 at 10:35.

Would you think 50ml be enough for 2 motors ?

https://www.rapidonline.com/loctite-...rtridge-565484

Well i got myself some Araldie Standard as it was quick to get amazon, and it worked well enough, still sounds a tad ropy but is running better

Team Kaizen

Well done. I'd call it characterful more than anything else now
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Register To Comment