Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Riptide: Hardwired and other builds

After the incoherent mess that was the old build diary, I've opted to start a new thread to encompass all my ongoing builds and whatnot, now I've got Hardwired 2, Overdrive, [next year's secret entry] and my beetles, Fhqwhgads and The Rift. This'll just cover my machines, I'm sure Sam will have his own build diaries for Hatchet and Lynx, or in other words the better robots in the team haha.

Rundown of the machines so far:

Hardwired 2

Weight: 9.4kg (featherweight)
    Weapon: sick drifting skillz
    Armour: all the hardox ever (6.4mm total hardox 450 steel)
    Active: 2014 - Current

My first combat-ready robot, this is a 6.4mm-ish (2 layers of 3.2-4mm) welded Hardox brick, previously powered by two speed 900s. Worked decently at the 2014 championships - was very bricky but with drive problems, and control was improved a little at the 2015 championships. Eats motors like they're going out of fashion though, and for speed 900s, that's not the best thing. Planning a brushless upgrade for this one.

Overdrive

Weight: 10.3kg (featherweight)
    Weapon: 2.5 kg drum at a theoretical 12000 rpm
    Armour: 10/15/20mm HDPE
    Active: 2015

I'll be honest, Overdrive did not do well. Maybe it was my dodgy CAD skills, maybe it was the fact it was built less than 48 hours before the event. Either way, it underperformed massively, and got one good hit on Hatchet before deciding to no longer function due to a broken motor shaft. After the weapon broke, I swapped out the drum for an altogether more fearsome weapon...

Banana Overdrive

Weight: 4.8kg (Featherweight?)
    Weapon: Banana, intimidation
    Armour: Banana
    Active: 2015 - current?

Because inflatable fruit. Banana Overdrive was riddled with problems, just as its predecessor/alter ego had, but it has one key strength that Overdrive did not have - a banana. It didn't drive particularly nicely because I still have yet to buy a mixer and on-transmitter mixing for DX5s is dubious at best, but it captured the hearts of both roboteers and audiences alike. Well, until it deflated that is... I am thinking of pulling a Great Pumpkin with it, filling the banana full of expanding foam to get rid of the potential entanglement risk and running it as a rambot at live events - Overdrive's going to be retired in its current form and taken back to the drawing board, so the old chassis is just laying about...

Fhqwhgads

Weight: 1.1kg (beetleweight)
    Weapon: Rambot
    Armour: 2mm alu, 2mm hdpe, 20mm wood
    Active: 2015 - current

The net result of building a robot 3 hours before an event with scraps found in your shed. Fhqwhgads is by all accounts a shambles, but rather enjoyable to drive at that - the motors and gearboxes are genuinely beefy things from a small scale tank, and the armour lasted surprisingly well against spinners and the like. Admittedly didn't get to fight all of them in working order, but I feel slightly confident now in the design and I'll be running it again now. Even if it is the size of a moon.

Will be updating this imminently with the post-champs report and new stuff, just at a time when it's not 2AM haha

Slightly late post-Champs update
    (hey it even rhymes)

Everything considered, I think this championships went really well considering Overdrive was still being finished less than 10 hours before getting in the car to drive up to go to the Gadget Show. Massive thanks to Harry there for firstly putting up with my nonsense and secondly actually building a half decent machine in about 48 hours or so. Even if I did end up breaking it... but we'll get to that later!

Fight 1: Overdrive vs Hatchet vs Satanix 1.666
    Loss: 1 point

Well, it worked at least. The disc got up to about 60% throttle in total (wanted to take it easy just in case there were issues) and a pretty nice hit on Hatchet ended up highlighting my dodgy engineering skills. Namely, I hadn't aligned the front panel properly and it sort of came off. The machine itself didn't break, all that went was the weapon belt which I'd not done properly anyway and of course the front plate - I tapped out because the innards of the machine were all exposed as a result of the panel coming off, which included a receiver, two ESCs and a pair of lipos. Not entirely sure I'd like to risk it at that point haha. Still, got a pretty damn nice hit on Hatchet, flipped it over and caused two nice chunks in the front scoop at that!

Fight 2: Overdrive vs Beauty 8 vs Satanix 1.666
    2nd - 2 points

Not much to say here really, Beauty 8 flipped Satanix out then Overdrive almost out, but it bounced into the pit. It looks like the hit I get around 9 seconds in or so snapped the weapon motor shaft and that's when it stopped working. It wasn't spinning up to full anyway so there was probably an issue right from the start, but there you go! Also note how slowly Overdrive was well, driving - that's partly due to dodgy mixing on the DX5e, for some reason it was going insanely slow and I remedied this for later fights by just not using any mixing. Potential upgrades include a more powerful drive and an external mixer so shouldn't be a problem in the future.

Fight 3: Banana Overdrive vs Richie vs Twisted Sister
    2nd - 2 points

It begins...
    At this point in the competition, I was going to just drop out entirely I'll be honest - no working weapon and a drivetrain which wasn't much good for pushing isn't the best recipe. Instead, it gained an inflatable banana (courtesy of Jamie) and it was a real laugh to drive around! In this fight I appear to lose one side of the drive, all that happened is a screw came loose and got caught in the plastic colson hubs, which is what stopped it in the end! Unfortunately when Richie turned the robot over, guess which wheel it ended up on?

Fight 4: Banana Overdrive vs Little Nipper vs Rabid M8
    2nd - 2 points

Well this went roughly how you'd expect. Two machines with big spiky claws, one robot with a piece of inflatable fruit in place of a weapon. Got a few holes punched in the lid (Nipper is scary lol) but no major damage. Even if Nipper missed everything important by mere millimetres - I held my speed controllers together with electrical tape and there was a small scuff on the electrical tape where Nipper's claw had been resting on them but didn't have enough depth in the crush to get them... which was rather lucky! Nipper also managed to miss my right hand drive motor by less than a millimetre too... Oh and the banana got swiss cheese'd by the end of it, which must come as a total surprise to everyone haha.

After that, Overdrive didn't go into anymore fights - instead, its electronics were put into Hardwired 2 to run that in whiteboards which on 3s and with new tyres actually ran quite nicely. The motors from that are now going to a new home so I can be inspired/forced to run brushless like I've been saying for literally a year now. Overdrive's maybe getting upgraded to also run actual brushless this time instead of brushless-wait-they-don't-work-I'll-just-use-drills-instead. Oh and 4wd with big beefy rock crawler wheels. I'm thinking of upgrading the latter so I have something to use at next year's championships, then work on the brand new machine, just so I have a fallback!

All in all though, great event - extremely enjoyable as always and I've learned yet more things for upcoming projects which is always a bonus too! Focus for the short term will be on beetleweights (not another featherweight event for presumably another year now) but I'm building early this time, another thing that I've learned is good haha

It runs on the ruined hopes and dreams of Banana Overdrive.

And also a very nice hydraulic setup, big ol' brushless on the pump. Did some pretty nasty damage to say the least!

Was doing a bit of lurking on Youtube (as you do at 20 past 2 in the morning) and found this video courtesy of Peter (Scruffy/Night Fury)

It's the 'free kick' battle as I remember it. Or the 'someone please break the rest of Hardwired, because I accidentally all the electronics' one. Took the most amount of damage in that one fight as it did all championships, but it still all amounted to a few chips out of the armour and a big scuff on the back from Shard... Oh well, Round 3 next event!

Also on a side note, Shiny is actually really scary, I know Nick was taking it to see how it got on, would call that a successful series of tests!

Ahh, good times! Next year I definitely need to try out the magnetic hold-down, that gyro dancing was really annoying. Thanks for finding the video

Yeah it did look to be a pain, but I guess that's the perks of having a vertical spinner haha! Hopefully shouldn't have as many problems with it myself with Overdrive's redesign...

Definitely should enter Shiny next year though, really quite an impressive machine - Mr Mangle is also but Shiny seems even more vicious by comparison! As for the magnetic hold down, depending on whether the motors like the constant downforce or not, I suppose you could use some electromagnets if you can fit any in, so that you can activate them when it gyros, and any other time it's not causing unnecessary stress on the drive? I did have an idea once (for when Archangel was a thing) to use one either side with a distance sensor so they activated automatically when the machine was more than 10mm extra off the ground, but implementing it would have been a pain given my lack of technical ability haha

Shiny will definitely be the main bot for next year (unless I come up with something better by then). Electromagnets are much less efficient than NIB super magnets; did you see the tiny magnet modules under Shard? They weigh very little but can have a huge hold-down effect. That tilt idea has gotten me thinking; rather than activate electromagnets, I could use a tilt sensor to cut the weapon power when the bot starts to lift off the floor - that wouldn't be too hard to do at all.

Excellent stuff! Would you be bringing your new horizontal too, or just keeping it as one bot next year?

Yeah, there's the thing, they're not as good but you can turn them on or off as you need them... That'd be an interesting idea though to have a tilt sensor, depends how responsive the weapon is to the motor being turned off though, could be something that'd work well with a brake to slow the weapon faster to stop it gyro-ing too much, though I also realise brakes and spinning weapons don't often get on so well haha

Register To Comment