Register To Comment
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Luna-Tic improvments

They will go in without, but I find it's better to drill a small pilot hole.

looking at the xt90-s its expensive. but might be worth a go too.

yh, defiantly drill pilot hole on bigger screws. I use small self tapping screws to hold small things it place. they go in okay without a pilot hole!

Not the dumbest of dumb questions I've asked. BUT....... these linear actuators. the mount holes hold the ram with the motor above it. This caused problems with space inside the bot. SO. could I drill new holes sideways into the existing ones so I could possibly mount it with the motor to the side of the ram itself.?!?

Just brain storming a back up plan!! Always have a plan B!!

I expect you could, but I wouldn't vouch for its strength once you've drilled the hole. You could make an adaptor that bolts on and has another hole at 90 degrees - just a thought. Might give you more strength, but it is more effort and would need a little more space.

Agreed; there will not be much metal left in the pivot once you have drilled a new hole. Making a new pivot bracket will definitely be stronger. You'd think that for the tiny extra cost, the manufacturers would make the pivot a separate part that can be rotated 90 degrees.

Anybody reading this for learning or reference, don't try number 3 on the list of improvements. I've tried to extend the axel the hex nut screws too. And secure it into the side panel with some bearings. Doesn't work. The wheel and drill work them selves loose very quickly. You need the reverse thread screw to hold it all in place. Might sound obvious to a veteran but to a newbie it'll save you half a days work and £10.

Right, where's my m5 reverse thread screws got to.!?!?!

took me a few minutes to figure it out, but yes. good idea...

Here we go again. Question time. I've been noticing people's drive train more recently, alot have one motor each side. Linked by chain or gearbox directly to one wheel. And this is then chained to a second or third. I went 2motors to drive two wheels each side on Luna-tic, because I didn't know any better and easy. Are there advantages to having two motors directly mounted to two wheels per side or save weight and cost by linking the two wheels by chain or belt.???

Here are the things I can think of in favour of the four-motor setup:

-If one wheel jams, it won't jam up the other one on the same side.
    -No resistance created by having a chain or belt in your drive system.
    -You don't have to have a section of your bot dedicated to pulleys and belts, making the drivetrain smaller and less vulnerable (fewer failure modes).
    -Just plain more pushing power.

Register To Comment