Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quicruns

I blew up one of my Hobbywing Quicruns up last night. It made a lovely plume of smoke that was really quite pretty until I remembered it was probably toxic.

I know Chris uses them in his new bot and other people have talked about them too, but has anyone actually had them working in combat yet? Technically mine was rated for 60A continuous, 4s which is better than a botbitz but perhaps it's those special Chinese amps which are smaller than normal ones?

Steve
    Last edited by lowndsy; 12th April 2017 at 09:31.

what where you doing with it? Wouldn't surprise me if they we're cheap amps.... I only got them because of the price and the spec's looked what I needed. But all three are still going. for now. might not be in a few weeks!!

I'm tempted by Rorys featherweight ones for the next build. two channels i.e. two separate motors for £55. about the same as two quicruns......

Nothing special, just plugged it into a Gimson 45. The other side is fine, but this one died straight away. The only difference between the two was that the other side had the red wire cut to disable the BEC, but I don't see how that would make a huge difference.

I have a new Quicrun on order to make up the set again but I also bit the bullet and ordered a couple of Botzbitz 30As from Ranglebox. Getting a bit fed up of how many bits I am having to write off now. That's 5 motors and 3 escs before I have even had a fight!

(edit: only one has blown up - I'm not a complete muppet. The rest either didn't arrive or turned up broken)
    Last edited by lowndsy; 12th April 2017 at 13:09.

What does the Gimson45 pull amps wise?
    Your not having the best of luck, Ive had one gearbox bust due to a stone, that's it. thought a motor had gone, but it was the connecters, so easy fix.

Over-volting too much...?

AH... I do remember that going in reverse the esc has less amps to play with. so one side is going "forward" the opposite is spinning in "reverse" to get the bot going straight. might explain one side blew and not the other!! When I let go of the transmitter stick, one side slows faster than the other and does a little spin. Looks cool, but annoying! I put it down it this, it has more resistance or something!!!! Perhaps someone with more electrical knowledge can explain!?

2 or 3 Amps no load, stall amps is 100 odd, but I hadn't even touched the controls, just plugged it in. I am only overvolting 12v motors to 14.8 4s, and the esc does support 4s, but maybe it is happier at lower volts. Keeping them as spares and switching to the Botzbitz.

When I had it running with drill motors I got around the different fw/rev esc speeds by just swapping the red and black wires when plugging one of the motors into the esc. There was still a tiny difference because the motors were wound to favour clockwise but nothing compared to when I reversed the channel input.

Steve
    Last edited by lowndsy; 12th April 2017 at 14:14.

All three Quicruns held up well. Didn't purposely get into any proper pushing contests with other bots. But eight fights in, the only problem with the esc's was one of the receiver plugs fell out, meaning I lost drive on one side!! Easy fix..... but stopping it from happening again is another question.!?
    Last edited by cjsowry; 26th April 2017 at 22:43.

A dab of hot glue between the servo lead plug and the receiver is usually enough to hold them in, but easy enough to peel off if you need to remove the plugs at any point.

ha, well I never...... Wife bought a glue gun the other week too.!!

Really sorry I couldn't make Saturday. Absolutely gutted, but the weddig reception I got dragged to was pretty good as well.
    How did Luna-tic do?

Register To Comment