Register To Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New guy here, advice appreciated

I advise using NiMH batteries for a beginner. They are easier to charge, simpler, safer and cheaper than LiPo. They don't have the density of LiPo, but are so much safer. You don't want to end up like Chompalot, do you? Hobbyking have a good range of well priced NiMH batteries, two 7.2v packs would work nicely. The Botbitz 30A would work with featherweight motors, I think, and ranglebox sells the brushed version of it for a reasonable price, or get a FeatherTwo from Rory, though I think he's quite busy since robot wars came back.
    Last edited by Theo; 14th April 2017 at 13:48.

If you want safe, go for LiFePo4 cells.
    NiMH is not up the task, unless you want an absolute low power machine or have a kilo of batteries in there.

Your ESCs should have a battery eliminator circuit built in. The red wire in your connectors (those three-pin cables with orange, red and brown) should be at about 5V. If you connect your LEDs to this, or one LED and a resistor, and the other side to the ground/negative rail, you should be fine. If you want, you can pop the red wire out of the connector to secure it to your LED.

As for what resistor, you just need to make sure your LEDs aren't getting more of a voltage drop across them than they're rated for. LEDs' voltage rating goes up roughly along with the energy of the wavelength they emit, so red LEDs only need around 1.8V, while blues usually need around 2.2-2.4V. So either put LEDs in series until their ratings add up to roughly 5V, or put a resistor in (330 Ohms is usually fine for supplies 9V and under) with fewer LEDs. If your LEDs seem dim, just try lowering the value of the resistor a little. But if your blue/green LEDs start to glow red, that's when you know you're giving it too much juice.
    Last edited by R9000; 17th April 2017 at 18:15.

Yes, ideally you need to use one of the BEC wires you've removed as the positive for your LEDs. By ground, I mean any negative wire. It might be easiest to just connect it to one of the spare ground pins on your receiver (that's the one that normally takes a brown wire). You can do this if you have a jumper wire with a female connection at one end - you can just plug it straight in.

Register To Comment