Register To Comment

Thread: Steel tube 60mm ID, hardened?

I`m looking to use a steel axle with a minimum 60mm internal diameter.
    I could use something from a skip/scrapyard but if I were to buy something then I could go for something hardened and reduce the wall thickness etc. but I don`t know much about the different types etc.
    Can anyone give any recommendations as to what I should go for?
    Thanks

Hmm, that's not a simple one.

Machinable, hardenable steel, with an internal diameter 60mm.

There are excellent carbon steels in the 10XX range, but each has its own benefits and weaknesses.

Otherwise, 4130 chromoloy steel is one of the better ones for structural tubing.

Thanks, I`ve just tried a 4135 axle but only outer diameter of 25mm (part of the same tube used for 13Black!). It bent straightaway after hitting the floor outside the arena. I`ll look into getting a larger piece.

EN24T steel might work for a 60mm ID if you've got the time/money/inclination to. I think it can be hardened, but I'm not sure what to.

I havn`t been able to find hardened steel tube just mild, however would E355 smooth bore tube be a hardened one? after a quick google it loloks like it but I`m not entirely sure what I`m looking for. The bloke I`ve got machining it is off for a week so I can`t ask him.
    Thanks again!

Register To Comment