Register To Comment

Thread: LED headlights

I am planning on using some quite big LEDs on Swift to point out of the front of the robot to create a bit of a 'headlight' effect.
    Unfortunately, not having any clue about LEDs, I have no clue what sort of power levels are required, and finding reasonably sized, unidirectional, available-in-a-pleasing-variety-of-colours LEDs that will run happily on 12V has not been going well so far - the main market appears to be car mods, and I'm a bit wary of those due to quality and current consumption.

Can anyone from the general hivemind share what they've found or would advise?

What about some of those DIY garden lights that are meant to be set into a patio? They'll mount in your armour nicely, plus they'll be tough because they're designed to stand up to being walked all over. https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Product...FUYcGwod238Ppw

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm thinking I should maybe have made clearer that I'm really after a solution that runs off 12v/24v - anyone got any experience outside of LED tape?

It's not hard to rig up a little board with a couple of resistors and LEDs yourself. Each one will use around 3V, assuming you're going for white LEDs. Why not get some stripboard/veroboard and prototype it?

running four in series works which will drop 4x3v = 12v

And then just put strings of four in parallel for more.

Register To Comment