Register To Comment

Thread: Low Pressure

Hey All,

Im building a new heavyweight from scratch, and the main design revolves around using low pressure pneumatics.

Problem is, ive never really used Low Pressure components as the main source (Dystopia does have LP valves but they are to fire the main system, rather than being the main system themselves). Thus id really appreciate the communities feedback on what components are good and widely used.

Im at the level that i can certainly go out and buy what i need, however i wouldnt know wether its the best product to be buying. And since im building this for someone else, im worried about buying something which would do the job - but theres something else which has better flow rate/is cheaper/more reliable ect.

Thus my main 2 questions are this.

1) Ive noticed alot of LP designs use custom heads on the 10 bar Co2 storage bottles which go straight into push fittings. The new Behemoth for example has these. Is it possible to buy them? And if not how critical are they compared to just using a regular screw valve on the bottle.

2) What valve brands or sizes should i be looking at? - i need one valve to fire double acting on a 63mm bore ram. With another to feed 2x 50-63mm Bore rams (i guess assume 63) single acting. Good flow rate is desired, but honestly i have no idea what ballpark to be shooting in with that one - i dont really know where the limit for "thats all youll need" is, thus i could just end up buying something ridiculously oversized.

many thanks for everyones time

Buffertank bottles. Commercial low pressure buffertanks are ment to take the push lock fittings, and those are easy to buy. Takes only a few minutes of googling.

The biggest push locks I know off are the ones that take 16mm hoses.

Valves, as big as you can get. But you'll have to adapt/customize the commercial rams, as they have a limited inlet.
    16mm push locks are ment for 1/2"BSP valves.

For the double acting ram, 2 3/2 valves are easier to put away than 1 large 5/2.

Brand. For the amount of actions we'll use those, even el cheapo Chinese will last long enough.

I'd go with a QEV on the buffer tank, 1" or thereabouts. That way you won't need a valve with largs ports. Spool valves will limit flow anyway, even if they have large ports. As for the ram, 63mm bore at low pressure for a heavyweight is too small I think. At 10bar that will give you around 300kg of force. I definitely go with a larger ram, 100mm bore minimum and custom built with a large inlet 1/2" or more.

The Woody QEV setup is a way to go for Low Pressure setups. Cheaper than big spool (shuttle, aka normal) valves, and controlable with a 1/8 bsp valve you can put away in a nook or cranny.

Register To Comment