Register To Comment

Thread: Going for it...

Evening. I was expecting (hoping) Season 10 applications to open after S2 had finished, but despite them being early I am looking at entering a heavyweight for Season 3 of the televised show along with Flat Damon, which is pretty much finished now. I probably won't get in but it's a childhood dream and the FW was fun to build so I'll give it a go and I can always do the live events.

Luckily I had already started on a basic chassis / weapon design and I can spend what I need to spend, but ideally it will be on a budget.

I'm not going to ask for advice on every part, but from my featherweight experience motors and speed controllers are the bane of my life. Can you double check my thinking?

Wheelchair motors are my fallback plan because I know they work but I don't want to commit until I have looked at the other options. The price seems to have gone up too since I looked last year.

The most obvious alternative to wheelchair motors is probably the escooter motors which are plentiful with 800 - 1000w models all over ebay at a similar price to wheelchair units, maybe a bit less. I have seen them mentioned for weapons but are they feasible for driving a bot with a chain drive? Wyrm on the current series website has them, but I don't think it has fought yet.

Drill motors... Only adding this because I think I remember reading recently that T3 used Dewalt units back in the day. Is it even possible for heavyweights in this day and age?

Finally a couple of longshots...

This transaxle golf cart motor looks interesting and affordable. It is lower wattage (150w), but the transaxle gearbox looks groovy, and golf cart motors have definitely been used plenty in the past. Looks to be 2 wire input so easy to wire up.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MY6812-12v...3D252750727343

Last one - a firm is selling flymo motors on ebay which they say are *ideal* for Robot wars, though they don't know the specs (the internet suggests up to 4000 rpm?). It seems too good to be true but has anyone got an opinion on them? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22V-24V-DC...YAAOSw9NdXqtYU
    At that price I could afford 6 wheel drive and lots of spares! I think i remember some early bots using lawnmower motors but they don't seem to mention things like that as much on the telly any more.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Last edited by lowndsy; 8th March 2017 at 10:57.

Bah, looked at what's going on in real life right now and had a quick chat with Flat Damon and I'll probably have to give the heavyweight a miss and just apply for featherweights, though I don't know how FD will do on account of being too bad-ass to need active weapons. Flat Damon laughs in the face of active weapons.

Will still make a (slow) start on a HW chassis and hope they do a season 4...
    Last edited by lowndsy; 9th March 2017 at 09:10.

At the rate they're cranking them out now, I wouldn't be surprised if the show goes on for more series than before the reboot. I'm hoping to apply too, just putting the last few bits on my FW.

I think I'll be better at HW than featherweight to be honest. I gave myself a huge headache by choosing a FW design with bugger all space inside (but it can take 8 tons of pressure), so def won't be making that mistake again.

Luna-tic FW is operational, just a few things to tidy up. Started on the heavy earlier this year, hoping to get funds so I can make the S3 fining in May! Going to be a busy few weeks. Don't try, don't get!!!
    I understand the problems with space and feathers but think in my case bad design and planing. The original method to operate my lifter didn't work and the alternate is too big for the chassis. Alot of tweaking has been made, buts it's there now. Not happy with the final product but its severed it's purpose. Mistakes and lessons learnt aplenty!!

Your looks great in that video you posted Chris.

Yep, Flat Damon is operational too, though I haven't settled on the final wheels yet - leaning toward pneumatic tyres for grip and a bit of shock absorption. Last thing to do is tighten up some bolts, drill some ventilation holes and find a random Ford Fiesta to beat up for practice.

Too busy to update the blog properly but I'll do it soon.
    Last edited by lowndsy; 10th March 2017 at 08:46.

If you do go for a HW, a pair of these with a single stage chain drive to the wheels should work fine; it's exactly what Aftershock used.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/800W-Elect...AAAOSwWxNYtZt0

The Chinese MY1020 electric scooter motors. With a little bit of love , decent.

Register To Comment