Register To Comment

Thread: walker clusterbot?

I'm very sorry for double posting, but time's drawing in on my build. I've decided to do a featherweight clusterbot based off 101 and anarchy (named 1.01 and anarchism, respectively). I have some questions, though, mostly regarding the rules around walkers and clusters. Firstly, is mike Franklin on the website? I would like to get his permission first before I make a robot based off his designs. Secondly, does anarchy's mechanism qualify as a walker or a shuffler (I don't believe it has 2 degrees of freedom)? Thirdly, and most importantly, how do the rules work? Can I use the double weight and instead enter both of them at 12kg? Or will it be one 12kg robot and a 6kg robot? I've been pondering it for ages and read over the rules a bunch of times. Lastly, is it still a case of one half being immobilised, the whole thing is immobilised (or a 55/45 split)? I doubt it's been done before, so that probably explains the lack of rule coverage. Any ideas? Thank you, and again, sorry for the double post.

No idea on Mike
    It doesn't count under the 2DOF rule.
    If you built a 2DOF walker cluster then I guess each half could be whatever % of the total you fancy. As long as both parts were walkers then I see no reason that you couldn't have two 30lb machines in the featherweight class.
    Can't remember what the current rules on clusters are with immobilisation.

Fairly sure that the current FRA ruling on clusters is one part out, whole machine out. Robot Wars is 70% total weight I think at present, or at least enough so that half a cluster can be eliminated and the entry as a whole be in play still...

Robot Wars cluster rule is 55% must be eliminated, and FRA rules, as they stand, have no cluster rules at all! :P

Also, FW's haven't been 12Kg for many years. They are now 13.6Kg or 30lbs.

It doesn't count under the 2DOF rule.v
    Then would it be considered a shufflebot? If so, do they get a 50% increase, like the later series of RWars?

With regards to the weight advantages, i think the best advice would be to go and look at the rules for yourself - they are publicly available on the website.

They explain the definitions of the weight advantages, and what those weight advantages are there.

Hi Alex,

About your comment:

Robot Wars cluster rule is 55% must be eliminated, and FRA rules, as they stand, have no cluster rules at all! :P

If you look in the Competitions Regulations you will find the following:

Clusterbots
    Robots that have two or more independent fighting segments, if one segment becomes immobile the complete machine will be deemed knocked out.

So Matt is correct, I hope this Clarifies.

Thanks,
    Ian
    Last edited by ian_humphrey; 4th March 2017 at 21:33.

Register To Comment