Register To Comment
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Experience needed regarding FW Beater and Armor

Maybe not most knowledgeable, but the will to make the effort and take the time to share this knowledge even to such noobs as me is a really big plus

And actually i was thinking of making the tube (almost) the diameter of the discs, so it would work as a drum with teeth only on the outside. But yeah.. making it smaller and possibly just use that as the pulley also sounds great, have to do the math on it.

On another route i was redesigning the weapon end completely to put the motor on one side, have slightly angled side/front armor and two 1cm thick aluminium bulkheads to put weapon axis as well as motor and pulley on to, and only having a ~10cm long (maybe a bit more, but have to make better scetches before i can say that) and 25cm diameter place for the weapon to fill.

Don't ask me how i did that, should do some recalculations, but somehow i ended up with adding a lot of Ali and a longer circumference (if i only count those places with side armor) and still somehow saved 1.7kg o.0
    So if i didn't miscalculated the needed screws (i'll need a few more now), too, that leaves me with over 6.5kg for the weapon and pulleys left. That doesn't seem to be right. Would really have to upgrade to a bigger motor with that, i fear.
    There must be a mistake somehow, going to try and put it into CAD today/tomorrow to prove me wrong somewhere. Only if "C" will be Cardboard or Computer i have to decide. possibly both.

Anyway, looks a lot more like the picture you posted earlier, nick. Just not exactly 45° corners, and still more like... up to 25cm of the bot lenght is weapon/bulkhead, and the Battery, ESCs, drive system and wedge only take up a combined 17cm of length.

I gotta admit, I preferred the crazy two beaters either side of a solid center. There's a lot to be said for making something completely different. Take PP3D, if I'd gone conventional then I'd have carbide with a disc or that celeb bot that Suzi had. But I decided to mount the disc on the end of the shaft and design the bot around that with big exposed wheels. It's meant comprises for sure but a lot of the featherweight drum bots are all starting to look the same with little differences between them. Essentially the same as the heavyweight wedge flippers all looking the same with a different paint job.

A solid bearing / bushing mount, pop your axle through the middle and have a threaded section on each of the axle. Put the discs on with a smooth hole in the middle of them and tighten the nuts against each other with some threadlock

Axle. Valkiri did bend a 20mm silversteel axle in the first decent fight against a wel armored opponent, and that was a short shaft, 90mm, of wich 65mm unsupported.

Due shape and weight constriction, I replaced that with a 20mm surface hardened shaft, and that seems to hold well.

But for a drum of that construction, my gut says 25mm at minimum. And that in case hardened steel.

The reason there are few vertical bar spinners is that a short bar is basically a solid disk with a bit clipped off the sides and it is less weight efficient than a disk with spokes. Its not until you get to around 350 or 400mm diameter that spinning bars make sense. At that diameter you have to go to crazy lengths to make a vertical bar spinner work. You can still do a ~250mm bar but it won't have as much KE as other shapes with the same weight. There some ways to improve that, like an aluminium bar with tool steel tips, or fancy CNC shapes but they will add cost & complexity.

Most builders end up going with the cheapest, most KE efficient design that fits into their weight and space restrictions. In your case the ~250 diameter is between the comfort zones of drums & beaters and not quite large enough for a spoked disk. If I had to build a vertical weapon that diameter, I would go with a Hardox disk 25mm thick, with thin spokes and the smallest possible hub to keep most of the weight out at the rim.

My motor seems to be a bit of a problem, anyway...
    So even if i could store a lot of energy in the weapon, i am unsure the motor could provide that energy in a reasonable time.

Searching for other motors of a more "flat" build, since the diameter of the motor regardless what i will actually build seems to be no problem, but the length will be. That would even fit into the middle of the double-weapon-design, but it is quiet hard to find in that size, they only seem to come really big or quiet a bit smaller (mostly for quadcopters, it seems)

Solutions for the single-weapon build would be:
    A longer motor, and put the weapon more to one side (would like to avoid that, the expected gyroscopic effects would be even harder to handle if i tip to one side easier than to the other).

Two of the motors i already have, but i doubt i could drive two brushless motors with one ESC, even if it is two times the same right? even if it has enough power.
    That meaning one more ESC, too, and finding a space to put that into and secure it at.
    Also i'd need twice as many pulleys.

Or also a more powerful, but still at most 5cm (without shaft) long motor of a "flat" design i have still to find.

If i don't find a practical way to do this, i might as well just go with a bar as spinner, since ineffective energy storage also means it is easier to spin up for my motor, if i won't have the time needed to spin up fully, anyway. Could make that one really solid so i won't have to do it again soon, and might also be the cheaper solution. But a disc is cooler...

Driving2 brushless motors on 1 esc, forget it.
    Sensorless brushless motors use the ripple/back emf to "read" the position of the magnets compared to the windings and adjust the cycle to that.

Sensored ESC/Motor combinations are a lot more accurate in that reading process and can achive better startups due that.

But introducing 2 sets of magnets and winding not in sync.... That's a a recipy for disaster.

Register To Comment