Register To Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BEC from esc

That's actually a really good idea. Nice one.

Lowndsy,

This would solve the problem yes.

Combat robots quality increase every year, from event to event less robots fail for "silly" issues, as a connector jump off, a switch break...

I can say that is very annoying when your robot stop during a fight and at the end you dscovery a stupid fail.

You can easily make a test, switch on a switch, hit him on a hard surface and check if he still is "on". Now imagine a robot during a fight. The best advise i can give you is, never use switchs on robots, never use bolted/spring connectors. Solder the max you can, avoid premature fails

To be fair, in this situation, even if the switch does break you're still fine for one fight, assuming there's one ESC without a switch. I assumed the switch deal was just so the red BEC wire that you weren't using, didn't have to be cut for good.

You don't need to physically cut the red wire. If you get a fine bladed Stanley or craft knife, you can slide the tip of the blade gently under the plastic tab on the plug of the ESC cable that locks the connector in place, then pull the red wire out. Tape up the exposed connector and tape it to the other wires. Disconnects it but keeps it intact if you need to use it again somewhere down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by R9000 View Post
    To be fair, in this situation, even if the switch does break you're still fine for one fight, assuming there's one ESC without a switch. I assumed the switch deal was just so the red BEC wire that you weren't using, didn't have to be cut for good.
    Yep, that was my reasoning too - wouldn't break anything, and I was going to use the same type of switch which is already on both of my escs, so nothing too risky. I think I'll give it a go, but no hurry while I'm sorting everything else out.

What's everyone doing with the switches that power the esc. Mine just rattle about inside. No idea what to do about them. Worried they might switch themselves off with being bashed about in combat.???!!?

I was planning on a little velcro strip, maybe some cable ties. They are really light so I'm not that worried about them.

I just wrap mine in tape in the on position so that it doesn't accidentally get knocked off in battle, then cable tie it to the RC lead.

Register To Comment