Register To Comment
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New style Argos drill motors: A look inside and review

Quote Originally Posted by Yohooshi View Post
    Do you think it would be ok to use 2 of the old ones in conjunction with 2 of the new ones in a 4 wheel drive system or would it be better to use 4 new ones if the power difference isn't that much?
    As I mentioned in my post the old motors are slower with a 36:1 ratio vs ~28:1 ratio in the new drills. You can't really use 2 old and 2 new together. You could use different size wheels to make up the difference but frankly that's just awkward. :P

My local DiY shop has had a clear out of the powerbase 12v's. And these Argos drills seems to be the cheapest I can find!!
    You said mounting them was different and you had some mounts? Are they easily mountable and/or how much are yours?

thanks

ALSO, since I have you here. I have this a very old Bosch 14.5v

17359112_10158335329650591_1418616050756936040_o.jpg

It has the same back plate as the new Argos and doesn't stay connected to the gearbox/chuck.
    The old style mounted easily. I'm struggling to find a way of mounting this.
    suppose I should add, I can't remove the chuck part, ive tried!! but I have managed to connect a sprocket and the clutch will be handy as it'll power a flipper/lifting arm.

thank you again!

Do you have a 3d printer? i have made some mounts shown in the video i have on the esc pages -
    It has the motor sat on it - the black block, its a version 1 mount but holds the gearbox firmly. I have a mount for the motor can too, but that is not shown in the video. I can send you some if you want? send me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by cjsowry View Post
    ALSO, since I have you here. I have this a very old Bosch 14.5v

17359112_10158335329650591_1418616050756936040_o.jpg

It has the same back plate as the new Argos and doesn't stay connected to the gearbox/chuck.
    The old style mounted easily. I'm struggling to find a way of mounting this.
    suppose I should add, I can't remove the chuck part, ive tried!! but I have managed to connect a sprocket and the clutch will be handy as it'll power a flipper/lifting arm.

thank you again!
    Where are you located? i could scan the motor and gearbox and produce a mount for you, but i would have to take it from you and scan at my workplace. Could you send it or make a drawing? i may even have a bosch somewhere... will take a look. What is the model?

Quote Originally Posted by cjsowry View Post
    My local DiY shop has had a clear out of the powerbase 12v's. And these Argos drills seems to be the cheapest I can find!!
    You said mounting them was different and you had some mounts? Are they easily mountable and/or how much are yours?

thanks
    Hi, My mounts will just mount via bolts into threaded inserts. I haven't decided on a sale price or even really finalised them *yet*.

Just a thought, did you remove the reverse bolt from the chuck? Just wondering, if you did, then you should be able to tichten the chuck around an Allen key and bash it to knock it off the threads. My Argos ones needed quite a hit!
    Managed to get a picture of the first set of mounts for the argos motors, pic available on my personal site: http://www.roboteernat.co.uk

Although not the best looking image of them, i need to clean out some holes for it to fit together. Something i will do tonight and repost image.
    Last edited by Roboteernat; 22nd March 2017 at 08:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Roboteernat View Post
    Do you have a 3d printer? i have made some mounts shown in the video i have on the esc pages -
    It has the motor sat on it - the black block, its a version 1 mount but holds the gearbox firmly. I have a mount for the motor can too, but that is not shown in the video. I can send you some if you want? send me a PM
    Sadly no!! But by watching you video, the motor itself looks like it does connect to the gearbox. I must have misread your review and was panicking over how to secure them both together. (the problem I have with this Bosch motor)!!
    Might just get one to have a proper look myself. But don't go away, I might still end up getting some mounts from you!! mounting the old style did get rather annoying!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roboteernat View Post
    Where are you located? i could scan the motor and gearbox and produce a mount for you, but i would have to take it from you and scan at my workplace. Could you send it or make a drawing? i may even have a bosch somewhere... will take a look. What is the model?
    Whitchurch, Shropshire. No where near Hampshire!! As for the model, I will have to get back to you. The case is lost in the shed!! Main problem is stopping the motor spinning itself in the normal mounts pictured above. AND keeping it secure in the gearbox!!
    On the first page to the thread its the same as the picture on the right!! Two little notches, (which the case would keep still.) but it also has the back end of the axle sticking out. (assuming that needs to the keep clear so it can rotate freely!)

AND yes, I tried to remove the reverse thread screw! But the 3 bits that hold onto the drill bits wouldn't separate enough to let it out. So I've managed to get a small chain sprocket in and I'm happy with that now!

image.jpgimage.jpgI meant can you send a picture of the gearbox with motor end on, so I can see it's profile, not the end cap of the motor.

If it is the same as mine not the one I have pictured then I could help and design something for you with your measurements.

The mounts I have lock around the case of the motor and slot into its external cover locking it into place stopping it from rotating out.

Register To Comment