Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using winch motor for weapon drive?

+1 for brushless DC motors

Big Dave 3 is entirely brushless motor driven, and while the speed controllers for high current brushless motors can be hard to sort out, there are suppliers out there. Brushless provides a healthy level of torque and ability to move stuff.

There are people who will swear by brushed DC motors (the sort you connect a voltage across and they spin), and they're not bad. Everyone has their own opinions though - and I don't think we (ARC) would ever consider brushed motors now we've got our head around brushless ones.

I'll get Rob from ARC to reply tomorrow with the weight saving/increase in power we got by going brushless - but it was quite significant.

The cheap winch motors will be very hard to convert. As Chris mentioned, the shaft usually has a gear or a spline cut into it and on all the gearboxes I have seen, the front face of the motor is part of the gearbox. It would take some ugly hacking to make the motor a standalone unit.

"Brushless provides a healthy level of torque and ability to move stuff."

For drums or objects with low moments of inertia yes but for larger discs with high moments of inertia the raw torque generated by a brushed motor can't be matched with brushless.

With brushed you generally pay a lot for the motor and can use a relatively cheap solenoid to give you on off control. Brushless tends to have cheaper motors but the control works out to be the expensive part.

Right now I just don't see brushless having the reliability in the arena when compared to a brushed spinner set up.

As long as you don't go cheap, brushless is highly reliable - I have boxes of burnt out Mag motors and have only lost one brushless weapon motor in three years. I disagree with low torque statement too; pick the right motor and the right gearing and a brushless motor will provide all the torque you need for a large diameter weapon.

Are those in heavyweight spinner setups or featherweight spinner setups? The former is a nightmare to get right with brushless. The latter is easy as most hobby gear is perfectly sized for it all.

Feather and light weights, but I also have a brushless Etek that does the same job as the brushed versions - except there are no brushes to shatter .

Register To Comment