Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CO2 bottle angle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm using twin 5l bottles which take up a fair amount of space and I have found that the best 'fit' is at slight down angle with the valves at the bottom end (see pic) Does anyone know if this will have any impact on making the valves more or less likely to freeze up?
    Attached Images Attached Images

You would need to put a dip tube in it to pull gas through or you will freeze up whatever is downstream of the bottle with liquid (i.e. valve or regulator)

Why using 2 3.5kg bottles? That's a lot more than any other heavy, most have 2kg on board, and some do have 2 x 2kg.

I'm using 5 actuators - 3 x pistons for weapons and 2 x rotating for self righting

That is all low pressure. At best suitable for 10 bar.

7 kg of CO2 is 3500 liters of gas.
    A double acting 100*200 ram @10bar uses 30 liters per double action. (this is Killerhurtz/Terrorhurtz powerlevel)
    Unless you have the rare Norgren Hi Pressure series that can handle 16 bar. Then it is 50 liters.

The biggest Rotary Actuator I have seen in 24 years of work in that branch is close to that. And that was at least 30 kg heavy to close the 12" Hastaloy ball valve.

Straight from the rulebook.

9.14 Heaters and Boosters
    Pneumatic systems using heaters or pressure boosters are not permitted.

My vote would be that its legal if your battery pack and or ESC is next to your CO2 valve. Heaters tend to be electric blanket type gizmos that you run when the rest of the bot is powered down (like the tire blankets used in F1) which an ESC is not. There is also no rule to say we cant used liquid cooled electronics (such as you find in gaming PC's) so who's to say if the CO2 is cooling the ESC or the ESC is heating the CO2?

I would keep the esc and batteries away from the bottle my setup dosent get very warm and there is too much frost/ice on the bottle during fights anyway. the batteries are probably in a metal box anyway so the heat will do nothing to the bottles.
    My motors get the hottest in the system but I still wouldn't bother moving them closer , the only thing I would do is try and get lots of bottle surface area to freeze up.

Register To Comment