Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member Introduction - Toying with the Idea of a Robot Build

David
    Hi all,

I thought I would introduce myself (couldn't find a new members thread?). I've been lurking on the forums for some time and, like most people, have been wanting to build a Robot since I watched the first series as a child!

A little about myself...I'm from Telford (Shropshire) and I'm an Electronics Engineer by profession; my background is mainly in high reliability, safety critical design for various things Although I've also worked in more commercial/industrial electronics.

Like most Engineers/hobbyists I have an endless list of projects on the go and don't ever seem to get any finished, so why not add a bot to the list! I've just finished building a CNC router (cuts Aluminium nicely) which will certainly come in handy.

As far as ideas go I'm still deeply in the thinking stage. I know it won't be a flipper (when I went to Robot Wars live the other month this is pretty much all I saw!). I'm perhaps thinking along the lines of a crusher but I've also been thinking about a bot which can clamp and lift another robot off the floor which can then be carried around the arena (into the pit etc.). Plenty of thinking to do!...

Dave

Hi David, welcome to the forums. I did a bit of a double take there, as I'm in Madeley, Shropshire; probably no more than 10mins away. I can offer cups of tea and robot chats!

David
    Hi Ellis,

Well who'd of thought. I'm literally around the corner in Coalport. Even stranger, I've just noticed Cork CNC sponsors you. Is that Noel in Ireland by any chance?

Dave

Y-yes. Yes it is. Noel is basically CNC Jesus for me and several builders. What's the connection there?

David
    Ha, it's a small world! I know Noel from the mycncuk forums. He machined the aluminium parts for my CNC router.

We will have to meet up some time!

Bizarre! He made a ton of the internal bits for Pulsar and has been my go-to for other classes for almost 2 years. Harry (another builder) originally "found" Noel via mycncuk as well.

As above, garage full of robots if you ever want a close-up look. Can't promise no RW spoilers though!

David
    Just up the road, ady.

The temptation to jump straight into a heavyweight build is increasing but I know you guys will suggest otherwise. Something I've noticed whilst browsing is that featherweights and heavyweights seem to be the most popular categories? I don't see as many middleweights?

There's no real 'market' for middleweights or lightweights, especially these days. See here: http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/thre...eights-or-both

Register To Comment