Register To Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Member Introduction - Toying with the Idea of a Robot Build

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Just up the road, ady.

The temptation to jump straight into a heavyweight build is increasing but I know you guys will suggest otherwise. Something I've noticed whilst browsing is that featherweights and heavyweights seem to be the most popular categories? I don't see as many middleweights?
    Not necessarily. It's reasonable advice to suggest building something smaller first, but only because of the sheer cost and energy involved with jumping straight into heavies. They can very easily be a money-dump and an even bigger time-dump, whilst the reward of competing in a smaller class can be just as strong for less. Also, you inevitably learn a LOT in the first few machines you build. The cost of disregarding previous ideas and efforts in the heavy class is huge versus smaller classes.

That said, that didn't stop the guys in the 90s from going from nothing to top tier machines in one go. It's entirely possible as long as you know what you're getting into. And they didn't have the wealth of experience and information we do now, let alone all the off the shelf hardware available today. If you're set on HW, go for a HW!

Lightweights and middleweights never really took off in the UK, but one of the EOs (Extreme Robots) is building a (hopefully) spinner-safe heavyweight arena, which might revive interest in the intermediate classes in the coming years.

Whitchurch (Shropshire) here too. I've only just started my robot building. (September last year) and I've opted for building a featherweight that's finally almost finished. I took the advice of Ellis and several others. These bots cost a fair bit. Mines broken the £350 mark and I'm still not done. Thats not including spares and repairs for competitive battling.

My goal is a heavyweight like many others, that's looking to be a grand and a half easily. I've learnt so much the past few months that I 100% agree building a FW first, even if it's a smaller version of your design, like I have. you'll find some design flaws and can fix them for the HW. Mistakes and there's been plenty are cheaper, parts are easier to get hold and it's just the right size to work on in the house. Sort it of hobby size if you will with only weighting 13kgs. But at the end of the day the decision is yours. If you have all the planning done and know exactly what we're doing then go for it, just be aware of the pit falls.

There's loads of advice of the Web, Videos on youtube on how to do everything and everyone here is friendly and willing to help.

I suggest the Shropshire gang pops round Ellis house for tea (or coffee) and biscuits and converse in the world of Robot fighting huddled around Pulsar and Tormenta. Ultimately I want to bring my bot Luna-Tic so Ellis can give it a once over before battling make sure there's no obvious problems with it and pick his brains over my Heavyweight build.

David
    Hi Chris, that plan sounds good to me! I think a featherweight might be a good idea after thinking about it. Things are hectic at work at the moment and I'm possibly moving jobs so trying to cram in bits when I can. I might have a robot related electronics project to do before I build one...

Alright lads, David have you built anything yet? I'm after local (ish) people with bots to help me. Wife is organising a Charity event on 1st July in Whitchurch (North Shropshire) and to help attract people I offered my bot. I've had a talk with John (from Extreme Robots) looking good about getting a feather arena. I need feathers to battle with. Plus I won't be turning away any Static heavies!!

Register To Comment