Register To Comment
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Team Darklight - Featherweight Axe/Hammer diary

This week I did most of the wiring loom, added connectors to the ESCs and motors, etc.

Then it was a at a case of connecting everything together, and we are rolling

There's still a bit of adjustment work to do to the armour / bodywork to get things under weight, currently at 13.8 which is a tad over.

Anyway, here's a video:

Quote Originally Posted by Maxamuslead View Post
    EDIT: Side note what steel are you using ?
    I'm using mild steel as it's what I had to hand (I know Hardox is a thing - maybe a future upgrade). It probably won't last long in the arena, we shall have to see if my driving compensates...
    Last edited by qbnut; 2nd July 2017 at 21:34. Reason: Quote only the bit I answered

Quote Originally Posted by qbnut View Post
    I'm using mild steel as it's what I had to hand (I know Hardox is a thing - maybe a future upgrade). It probably won't last long in the arena, we shall have to see if my driving compensates...
    fair enough, what are you going to make the axe/hammer out of mild steel again ?

Probably, depending on what weight allows. The axe shaft was made out of a thick piece, so might use that again.

Brief update today, finished wiring for the weapon as well, tidied it up and tied everything down.

Tested the weapon for the first time hooked up to the final electronics. It packs quite a punch, so much so that it sheared the bolts holding the bar to the sprocket :/ Probably should have welded it in hindsight. So back for a rethink on that one.

Quick update after a bit of radio silence...

The robot is together mechanically, the axe is asssembled again and reworked a bit after the bolts incident.

In the lead up to Insomnia 61 the updates are likely to be more sporadic, but there will hopefully be a further one before the event with it still in one piece

Final drive and weapon test today. Now all that's left is a bit of paint and it's ready for Insomnia 61

Also, will it self right?

looking great! cant wait to see the axe head on it

Duuuude that's awesome! Fantastic job making this thing a reality - it looks like a really solid machine!

looking good, what is the weight on that ?

EDIT: i see on a previous post you said 13.8 but how much have you shaved off and how heavy is that axe head going to be ?
    Last edited by Maxamuslead; 14th August 2017 at 09:01.

Register To Comment