Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brushless AD HOC servo

Hey,
    Just throwing some ideas in the air for a build but have people ever used brushless + custom gearbox to power a lifter controlled with a reversable brushless ESC and something like an arduino for a sort of psuedo brushless-servo? It would be pretty taxing on batteries and a few possible problems spring to mind but was interested to see if anyone had used something similar?
    Cheers, Jon

I've been looking vaguely at upgrading the lifter on Richie to brushless, and there's no reason why it's not possible. You won't get fine control as brushless don't really do that, but who cares about fine control as long as it goes to roughly where you want it to and lifts another robot in the process :L You could even just give it end stop switches and eyeball the rest of it (which is the setup I currently have).

The other potential issue is starting under load, but If it's geared down to the sort of speeds needed for a lifter, it shouldn't have too much trouble as long as a suitably powerful brushless was used. A 2KW brushless would be a suitable size and more than adequate in a feather, though that may end up as more of a flipper with that sorta power :L

Would this be for a feather or a heavy? Feather is perfectly doable I would think... it might get a little more tricky in a heavy.

If anyone does come up with a fine control high power brushless servo setup though, I could do with a couple for my final year project :L

Yeah, this would be a featherweight. Fine control may not be entirely possible but like you say, you only really care if it's up or down (although I was thinking about having the forks extend past both the upper and lower faces so a central position might be nice).
    What's the final year project on?

Hoping to build a powered exoskeleton... because awesome :P

I assume you've checked out "The Hacksmith" Rory? His exoskeleton is pretty cool!

I can confirm that that is, in fact, awesome :P The hacksmith one was a bit of fun but I have a feeling that Rory + final year project rescources would result in something a bit more versatile.

Register To Comment