Register To Comment
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Total Newbie on a budget

Quote Originally Posted by Flag Captured View Post
    I've run drill motors on 30a botbitz and 6s before now and they've been fine, so you've no need to worry in that regard. Can't recommend 6s too highly though lol
    Why no love for 6s?

Quote Originally Posted by Londonboii View Post
    Thanks. I've put all the wires etc into a little box beween the motors to neaten it up and protect them a bit.

You said you use the flysky. I have the CT6B and I'm wondering how have you set yours for steering? I can't work out how to make it steer with both wheel's.

Ive got it so when I push the right stick forward and back both wheels go together.
    Then I've set the left stick to steer but can only get it to operate one wheel. What I want to do is turn the left stick left and both wheels rotate opposite directions to turn and the other way when I go right.

Is that possible with the flysky?
    And yeah that should be possible. I don't own that transmitter but the setup you want is a pretty standard mixing setting.

If, for whatever reason, the transmitter won't do what you want, you can install a plug and play mixer between the ESCs and receiver in your robot and leave the transmitter unmixed for the same result.

Hope it works out
    Last edited by bitternboy; 11th January 2017 at 11:47.

I got a separate mtronics tank mixer for about a tenner - tiny little unit that just plugs between the receiver and speed controllers. Only had it running with test gear so far but it seems to work great.

Londonboii
    Thanks. At the moment I have it setup like so.

Motors/ESCs connected to CH1 and CH2 (right stick)

CH1 (up down on right stick) is mixed to CH2 so up down controls both wheels forward and back.

CH2 (left right on right stick) controls one wheel but I won't use it.

CH3 (left right on left stick) is mixed to CH1, so when I turn left the left wheel goes back, when I turn right it goes forward.

How would I use the plug and play mixer in amongst that setup to get CH3 control both wheels, turning in opposite directions?

Quote Originally Posted by Londonboii View Post
    How would I use the plug and play mixer in amongst that setup to get CH3 control both wheels, turning in opposite directions?
    I haven't tested if it reverses one side in a turn. The point of little units like the mtronic is that there aren't any settings to worry about so I would imagine it either works or it doesn't.

Might have everything running properly at the weekend, so will check then.
    Last edited by lowndsy; 11th January 2017 at 16:19.

A plug and play mixer would require no mixing on your transmitter, with channels 1 and 3 on the transmitters directly controlling the 2 used channels on the receiver.

I know it might be cheating but could you get hold of a ready to use V-tail mixing model for your tx? That would get you there straight away.

Londonboii
    From the sound of it the physical mixer is just going to do what the program does.

I need to get ch3 left to control ch1 forward and ch2 in reverse, and ch3 right to control ch1 in reverse and ch2 forward.

So I think I'm trying to split channel 3 into 2 channels, with each one controlling the 2 in different directions. If that makes sense.

Maybe it would be easier to have each stick control a wheel and then I could turn by having one up and one down. But the left stick doesn't return to centre when released like the right. It sits where you leave it and it's not easy to centre without looking.

Londonboii
    I'll look at what the v tail mixer does.

I know it might be cheating but could you get hold of a ready to use V-tail mixing model for your tx? That would get you there straight away.
    That wasn't very clear of me. I meant - there must be a default tx programming file available somewhere with V-tail mixing taken care of. I'm not an expert in the slightest in programming that tx but I thought it might be a shortcut worth tracking down

Getting a physical mixer might be a bit silly as you say.

Londonboii
    After looking a bit it looks like it's possible to mod the left stick to make it sprung, which will mean I can just operate each wheel sperately and I'll then just move them in opposite directions to turn.

Thanks for the help

Register To Comment