Register To Comment

Thread: Magnetic Wheels/Tracks?

I was watching battlebots a while ago and I saw a robot with magnetic tracks. I was wondering if that was allowed in FRA rules or Robot Wars rules, since it only specifies magnetic weapons aren't allowed. I don't think they are because battlebots are quite lenient on rules (they allow flamethrowers and projectiles) in comparison to the UK. I'm considering putting them on my robot if they are allowed because it would help a great deal against vertical spinners and flippers. Are they allowed?

No rules against having magnets in wheels or tracks, or even the bottom plate of a machine.
    It's been done a few times.

Nice! I'll probably include them.

If your main reason for including them is to negate the effects of flippers and vertical spinners, they won't be as effective as you might hope. There is more than enough power in most pneumatic flippers or vertical spinners to overcome the downforce generated by the tracks should you be hit or get flipped. However if you're keen to do them, I wouldn't like to discourage you as they are a rare sight and it would be nice to see something different

Yeah magnets will not really have a noticeable impact on a flippers ability to flip. Tracks are cool but to me they're a big vulnerability for no gain.

Even though they might not have too much effect, they will at least provide some stability or resistance. I'll probably not use tracks, though.

Register To Comment