Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 250A+ speed controllers

This shouldn't be too hard - but it seems to be more difficult than I first expected....

I'm on the hunt for a beefy 250A+ speed controller to deal with some of the requirements of Team ARC's Big Dave 3. I had been looking at the Turnigy dlux 250A unit - but after a certain supplier sent me a faulty one, I'm not a fan of that route.

I'd love to have the budget to fork out for an MGM controller - but that's just a bit above the budget..... I know Alien Power Systems can do them - but after our experience getting motors out of them, I'm not entirely keen on the idea.

So, with all that in mind: Any recommendations that anyone would like to make?

MGM looks the only real life option.

Dlux ended up crispy for us. (probably the same supplier)

Alienpower. I have the same feeling.

Sevcon do a bunch of brushless controllers although they aren't what you would consider hobby sized. I have a couple of their older brushed 300A controllers sitting there and they weigh around 2.5kg each.

Out of curiousity, has anyone played with the HiFei Fulcrum controllers (http://www.hifei.com/fulcrum-esc )They look OK from the specs.
    Last edited by cmalton; 15th December 2016 at 09:48.

As with all hobby products, and especially Chinese hobby products, I'd take the amp ratings with a pinch of salt, and the fact the instructions specify they need good airflow is worrying - that's quite hard to do in a robot without a fan. But it is professional producer!

Just the size of the wires versus the rated ampères raises an eyebrow for most of those Chinese ESC's.

I think based on the responses here and having a quick look myself, you might as well save your pennies and get an MGM controller.

JeremyCuss
    Do people still use the roboteq AX2550 (or its modern replacement)? I still have one which I am planning to use on my new robot.

For brushed motors yes. This thread was discussing brushless motor speed controllers.

Register To Comment