Register To Comment
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Unnamed FW crusher build diary

So progress on Pressure Point has been slower then I would have liked over the last couple of weeks, but here is what has been going on.

I have virtually finished the electronics now. The fuse has been installed, the Rx has been put in a case and installed, and the connectors for the power LED are done. I have another link to make, (the current one uses Black wire, and I want one that uses Red), but otherwise I hope that's it for electronics. The final wheels have been done, and I have followed the tried and tested method of nylon wheels with bike tires cut down and screwed to the outside of them. These are much lighter than the original wheels I had on it that you can see in the old updates.

pic 1.jpgpic 2.jpg

In the pictures above you can see that the 2 self-righting arms are on the robot, but not yet connected up to anything to make them work. There is also a new piece of armour to protect the hydraulic tank from the back. The self righting arms should flip the robot back over if/when it end ends up on its side. It wont balance either on its front or on it top. And if it gets knocked onto its back it is designed to drive around in this state and can be righted by either a sharp switch in direction (theoretically) or by extending the ram.

The next part of my plan was to give it the first test of driving around under its own power. Over Easter I took it over to the families house as they have a bit of smooth concrete I can drive around on which is something I don't have. Straight away there was an issue with the drive motor mounts which meant I couldn't drive it around. The front mount is a bit loose, not by a lot, but enough to stop it driving. Its frustrating, but better than turning up to an event like that I suppose. But the day was not a waste, as there was an old microwave the crusher could have a play with:

pic 3.jpgpic 4.jpg

I'll stick the video up in a couple of days when I get chance.

I was hoping to make the Manchester event next weekend, but I think I have at least a couple of days of work left including re-making the front motor mounts, making the armour, connecting up the self-righters and giving it a test. Again its frustrating as the event it not too far away, but I'll look to the next one.

Holy accordions, Batman, that's one folded microwave! Glad to see things are shaping up to some degree. I sure as heck do NOT want to get caught on the end of that crusher arm. Great work so far!

Quick video clip as promised:

Looking fantastic that mate. Would be great to test it against hardox to see if you can pierce it. Hope to see it in action soon!

nice.. keep away from my bot with that thing!!

What is the weight now?

That's like a kick to me when I'm already down as I just can't find time to make progress hahahah ... that's really brilliant progress though mate..
    Especially seen as we both started this at the same time and all I have is a 4wd rambot made out of ply and a weapon test platform..
    I went the mechanical route rather than hydraulic and hitting no end of problems. Latest one is gears losing teeth like a 90 yr old bloke. Lol.
    its been great to follow your build though, can't wait to see it in action and test against something tougher.
    :-) :-)
    I hear you on the time front, I thought I would be finished before now but there is never enough time to do it and I'm already missing events this year There was no way I was considering the mechanical route for the crusher, I don't have the tools or mechanical knowledge to do it, plus I had an antweight many years back that had the same problem you are having with the loosing teeth!

Looking fantastic that mate. Would be great to test it against hardox to see if you can pierce it. Hope to see it in action soon!
    Me too, and if I had some hardox or other steel, I'd love it to try it out and see what I'm up against.

nice.. keep away from my bot with that thing!!
    No chance! I've followed your progress on Luna-tic and it looks great.

What is the weight now?
    With battery its pretty much 13kg. Armour for the rest of it is tight but there are a couple of places I can save around half a kilo if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_ View Post
    With battery its pretty much 13kg. Armour for the rest of it is tight but there are a couple of places I can save around half a kilo if need be.

go the razer route and get drilling some holes. Also did you say at the arm made out of Alu ?

looking impressive all the same

Register To Comment