Register To Comment
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Unnamed FW crusher build diary

It looks terrific an terrifying at the same time. Great job!

Well Done Al, Looks great and look forward to seeing it in the arena!
    Last edited by Kenny; 17th January 2017 at 21:53.

Thank you for the kind words everyone! Not a huge amount to report (again) since the last update for 2 reasons. The first of which was finishing the workshop, but that’s done now so I should start to progress more quickly. Second is a serious bout of the man flu which has struck me down for the last couple of weeks.

I have had part of my plastics order delivered so I can start making the rest of the robot, but naturally, the first thing to do, was to try and put some holes in it with the weapon:

IMG_20170226_114246408_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

That’s 10mm HDPE, no problem so far, I have some 20mm HDPE and some Delrin on back order due any day, I’ll see how it copes with those.

Before doing the testing I built up the front wedge plate and put it on the robot, 5mm tool steel bottom part for wearing and 5mm aluminium upper part to save weight. It still needs the side fixings into the chassis, but it fitted fine.

IMG_20170218_133309686.jpg

The next job was to strip the machine back down for the afore mentioned fixings and to drill out the other mounting holes into the chassis sides. I took the opportunity to check all the parts were still straight and true after playing around crushing things. The weapon has only gone to 50% power so far, but everything still looks good. Fingers crossed for some quicker progress from here on in.

On a final note, has anyone ever used the name Pressure Point for their robot? It’s the best I have managed to come up with so far.

A quick clip of it having a go at the HDPE. it took a couple of bites to get through the 10mm stuff at 30% power, but that crusher tip is still a blunt piece of steel, I think once I have that sharpened up a bit it would go easier. At 50% power, the 10mm was no problem even with that tip, so time to bring on the thicker stuff. Also, please excuse the use of 2*4 offcuts and spring clamps to give me something to help hold the test piece on, filming and operating it all at once is tricky

Edit: Weirdly, the annotation boxes only show up for me if I watch the video on YouTube instead of directly in the thread. To save time for anyone with the same problem, the first test is 5mm HDPE at 30% power, the second is 10mm HDPE at 30% power and the final one is 10mm HDPE at 50% power.
    Last edited by Al_; 27th February 2017 at 13:42.

That's looking very good, and scary! 10mm HDPE is easily enough to keep any axe/hammer out so if it doesn't even slow down when blunt @ 50%, it's going to suck to fight it at full potential!

Quote Originally Posted by Runsler View Post
    ouch... that will hurt.

did you also test it at some angle, so not only vs. box-shaped bots, but vs. wedges?

(And will we see a test vs. metals like ali, hardox and titanium?)

if you can get those as easily, it will be hard to build something that could stop you...
    I'll be doing some more tests as the build progresses, so I'll try film what I can, different sizes and shapes for it to try. As for metals, I have some aluminium I can try on it, but nothing else. Any suggestions as to where I can get some small steel, hardox or similar offcuts from?

Quote Originally Posted by MattLampitt View Post
    Looking so good Al...
    I'm finding it so so hard to find time to do mine... iv got drive system done and driving the kids around the kitchen but that's bout it lol..

so been as robotwars are advertising for for featherweights for season 3 will you have it done and enter do you think?
    I'm in the same boat, time is always tricky to find between work, the family and doing up the house, but thankfully I keep finding a few hours to have a mess about with things.

I would love to have put my name down for the season 3 feathers, but unfortunately the filming dates clash with a prior commitment. If these is a season 4 I'll put it down for that.

Register To Comment